NewYorkjoe   08-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Been away for awhile. Since politics are verboten as a subject, not much to say.

However, acquired a new firearm this past weekend; have not even shot it yet. It's built on the AR-15 frame, but fires a .502 Thunder Sabre cartridge. Basically, the .502 is a .50AE with a 7.62x39 head. I've been warned it kicks like a mule, so I need a good recoil pad and a red-dot scope that can absorb some punishment. It has a flat-top (no handle), so it will take any optic sight or even a green daytime laser.

I spoke on the telephone with the designer, who gave me the number of the people he has sold the rights to and who can provide ammunition and accessories.

I'll be back with a report and maybe some pictures after a trip to the range.

In the meantime, best wishes to all,

NYj

Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late; And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods,"
"Well, John Henry said to the Cap'n, "A man ain't nuthin' but a man. But, before I let that steam drill beat me, gonna die with my hammer in my hand, Lawd, Lawd, gonna die with my hammer in my hand."
Medusa   08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a serious gun. .502 sounds like a huge caliber. I can't wait to see some pics or video of the range. I recently got a new 9mm. Couldn't shoot the FNH that me and my son got. My hands are just too small. So I needed subcompact. I got a HiPoint 9. Pretty small and ugly but shoots nice.
NewYorkjoe Wrote:Been away for awhile. Since politics are verboten as a subject, not much to say.

However, acquired a new firearm this past weekend; have not even shot it yet. It's built on the AR-15 frame, but fires a .502 Thunder Sabre cartridge. Basically, the .502 is a .50AE with a 7.62x39 head. I've been warned it kicks like a mule, so I need a good recoil pad and a red-dot scope that can absorb some punishment. It has a flat-top (no handle), so it will take any optic sight or even a green daytime laser.

I spoke on the telephone with the designer, who gave me the number of the people he has sold the rights to and who can provide ammunition and accessories.

I'll be back with a report and maybe some pictures after a trip to the range.

In the meantime, best wishes to all,

NYj

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
rjack_fan   08-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Sounds like fun!

i wish I had taken more time to get comfortable with our gun collection. Now that I have more time to shoot, it's so hard to get any ammo around here.
Medusa   08-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Same here. If I catch Walmart at the right time I can get ammo. Lately all they have is steel case shells which are not allowed at our range. But for $10 for a box of 50 I buy it for the house to keep anyway.
rjack_fan Wrote:Sounds like fun!

i wish I had taken more time to get comfortable with our gun collection. Now that I have more time to shoot, it's so hard to get any ammo around here.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
NewYorkjoe   08-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Right now, I can get a box of 30 .502s for $50 from the owner of the design rights. He has 10,000 rounds on hand. But, I'm going to wait to shoot it until I get the recoil pad and optics installed.

If you shoot a lot, buying a Dillon press is worthwhile. I still reload .45 Long Colt. Dillon's can be converted to different calibers, but it always looks like a pain to me, so I buy .45 ACP and 9 mm when I run out.

NYj
This post was last modified: 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM by NewYorkjoe.

Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late; And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods,"
"Well, John Henry said to the Cap'n, "A man ain't nuthin' but a man. But, before I let that steam drill beat me, gonna die with my hammer in my hand, Lawd, Lawd, gonna die with my hammer in my hand."
Brian   08-13-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm interested. Post them up when you've your new aquisition set up.

There is no wise man without fault
fpw   08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
sounds like one cool weapon, Joe. Keep us posted.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
NewYorkjoe   08-14-2013, 11:38 AM
This is just a sample. Mine has a flat-top with a Picatinny rail.[Image: 9296594-thunder-sabre-502-50-cal-rifle-a...-first.jpg]

Brian   08-19-2013, 07:07 PM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:This is just a sample. Mine has a flat-top with a Picatinny rail.[Image: 9296594-thunder-sabre-502-50-cal-rifle-a...-first.jpg]

The rail for the foregrip and light I assume? I have it on my HK416. It has a forward grip and an ACM4 red dot site.

There is no wise man without fault
NewYorkjoe   08-20-2013, 02:34 PM
No, the rail instead of the carry handle. I bought a Limbsaver recoil pad, but I still need an optical sight. Right now, it has only a rail, not even open, iron sights.

NYj