Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
Tony H   06-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Saw it today. A little flat on story but holy crap...THAT is how you make a Superman film!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
cobalt   06-17-2013, 09:14 AM
You just like men in tights. Smile

EWMAN
Sigokat   06-17-2013, 09:27 AM
cobalt Wrote:You just like men in tights. Smile

Or maybe he likes action/superhero movies.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Fenian1916   06-17-2013, 10:03 AM
And he likes Zima

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
cobalt   06-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Exactly!

EWMAN
Tony H   06-17-2013, 11:23 AM
I like action films better than I like men in tights. If I liked men in tights I would go to the ballet.

Man of Steel was the first time that I felt that Superman was actually super! Unlike the original films and the lackluster Superman Returns, this guy actually fights and is capable of throwing a punch.

It is very CGI heavy and the action is rather jarring, but the cast does a great job with a flimsy story that serves only to forward the narrative from one fight to another.

Some people claimed that Superman is too brooding in this, and though he comes across as a loner in his first outing, there is very good reason for this. But he is not as dark and brooding as he was in Superman Returns, and he never gets to the point where he is miserable.

Sorry, I realize no one asked, but I love this movie and I am probably going to see it a few more times in the theater!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Fenian1916   06-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Tony H Wrote:If I liked men in tights I would go to the ballet.
Zing

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Sigokat   06-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Tony H Wrote:I like action films better than I like men in tights. If I liked men in tights I would go to the ballet.

Thanks for making me laugh like an idiot in the office!!

Quote:Sorry, I realize no one asked, but I love this movie and I am probably going to see it a few more times in the theater!

Why's it always have to be about you?! Don't you know some of us can't go to a movie theater to see Superman or Gay Spock? You're so cruel!!!

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
PicardRex   06-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Saw this the overday and though it is heads and shoulders above Superman Returns, it to my mind still doesn't touch the '78 version. It is certainly enjoyable and there are good qualities about it, it just also has many flaws. Cavill is fine as Supes, way better than Routh(but thats partly because SR sucks so much) but nowhere near Reeve. Costner and Crowe are great and the Fiora chick is badass, as well as Meloni as the Col., but the rest of the cast is forgettable.

Also, I had a hard time believing that this Superman would care that much about humanity. I get that they were going for a more brooding and angsty film, but a childhood filled with ridicule and ostracization generally doesn't leave you with a good disposition towards those who were doing that to you. I realize the Kents were there to counter that, but it just felt hard to buy.

My biggest problem with this is its just pretty much forgettable, there's no really "oh shit" moments. The action gets to be a bit montonous, nothing really affects any of them. That said, lots of action is much more enjoyable than lots of boredom aka Superman Returns.

As for the "twist", if you know your comics, Supes did it in them, so not much by the way of surprise.

Having said all that and bored you to death, it is a fun movie, definitely enjoyable, here's to hoping the sequel can have a bit more soul.
cobalt   06-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Tony H Wrote:I like action films better than I like men in tights. If I liked men in tights I would go to the ballet.
I was teasing....but I wuvs you anyway. Smile

Quote:Sorry, I realize no one asked, but I love this movie and I am probably going to see it a few more times in the theater!

Ok...lol

EWMAN
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4