Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
PicardRex   06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Tony H Wrote:I loved Superman vs. The Mole Men. The 50s Superman was so freaking awesome. George was so squeaky clean as Superman.

Sorry to keep harping about it, but your statement is part of the reason why I wasn't so thrilled with this movie. Pretty much each Superman before has left an indelible impression, from George to Christopher to Newbern/Daly for the animated one, Cavill though not bad was kinda flat, hopefully thats just the writing and as you said a sequel will flesh out things.

I barely remember the Kirk Allyn ones, been so long since I've watched them. I used to love Adventures of Superman though and most of the animated stuff is pretty good. Smallville was good for about 4 seasons to me, before it got sucked into soap opera mode. I do wish in a way that they would have transitioned Welling into the movie Supes.
Tony H   06-19-2013, 12:18 PM
I have seen Cavill in various movies and interviews and he has charm. The writing in this film didn't afford him the opportunity to show it.

The glimmer of hope was the final scene when Lois welcomes Clark to The Planet. In that ten second interaction there was more charm and chemistry than throughout the 2.5 hours.

It is difficult to write a squeaky clean hero in this modern era and have him come across likeable. I think the writers were trying to make a Superman for these troubled times. Perhaps a better balance between old and new needs to be found.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Scott Hajek   06-21-2013, 02:38 PM
I truly enjoyed this movie. It is the best Superman movie made. Nothing cutesy, nothing ridiculously impossible and good acting all around.

There were parts of the 78 Reeve movie I liked, but I hated, since the first time I saw it, the whole reverse-time-to-save-ugly-Lois bit.

Man of Steel is the second good DC based movie in recent times (post 2000): Dark Knight with Heath Ledger being the only other one. Man of Steel is a step toward redemption for Christopher Nolan for the @!&*#! disaster that is TDKR.

I look forward to the next one, but I hope there is a brief reflection on the economic impact of the destruction caused in the first movie... and I thought New York got hit hard in the Avengers.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Marc   07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I saw MoS over the weekend. What utter crap it is. I didn't care about any of the characters, as suffered from the usual Hollywood bloat of overuse CG. I do think the actors did a really good job, and the effects were good, but they usually were distracting and felt cartoonish at times. It was nice to see a more serious version of Superman, but overall it was 2+ hours of "meh".
Tony H   07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Marc Wrote:I saw MoS over the weekend. What utter crap it is. I didn't care about any of the characters, as suffered from the usual Hollywood bloat of overuse CG. I do think the actors did a really good job, and the effects were good, but they usually were distracting and felt cartoonish at times. It was nice to see a more serious version of Superman, but overall it was 2+ hours of "meh".

To each their own. You like Lynch though, so your taste in films is already suspect.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Lisa   07-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I thought Henry Cavill and Amy Adams were great in their roles and played them as well as they could given the script. Unfortunately, the dialog was horrendously cliched (and I'm one who enjoys a well done cliche) and gave them next to nothing to work with. They may as well have ad libbed all their lines--it would have come out better that way. Not being snarky, either.
Marc   07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
I guess we know who the smart one is in your relationship. :p
Tony H   07-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Marc Wrote:I guess we know who the smart one is in your relationship. :p

Now I know what it is like to be the inferior one. FINALLY! A glimpse of what it is like to be you on a daily basis.

Certified 100% Serious
Lisa   07-08-2013, 02:31 PM
And here I thought PoP was the smart one...
Scott Hajek   07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't care what the "others" think. Tony, you are the smart, superior, correct one here.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4