karatelovr   05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Just finished Infernal and found it the weakest book thus far in the Adversary Cycle / Repairman Jack (I've read all except Nightworld from AC and the first 8 RJ books). It was very predictable which is odd for Wilson. I also found large sections incredibly boring - could not stand all of Tom's thoughts, his brooding was just over the top. I'm really hoping the actions in this book are key to some things that will happen in future books. Especially since very little was investigated / learned as far as the Otherness story in this book.
Tony H   05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
karatelovr Wrote:Just finished Infernal and found it the weakest book thus far in the Adversary Cycle / Repairman Jack (I've read all except Nightworld from AC and the first 8 RJ books). It was very predictable which is odd for Wilson. I also found large sections incredibly boring - could not stand all of Tom's thoughts, his brooding was just over the top. I'm really hoping the actions in this book are key to some things that will happen in future books. Especially since very little was investigated / learned as far as the Otherness story in this book.

All that AND a thumbs down icon too. I think FPW owes someone an apology.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Alaric88   05-03-2012, 11:51 PM
That's how Jack gets ahold of the compendium of srem

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQltDXcqCC7fLZ2MUtvyJp...d2d6EFKIjG][Image: rWZjS.gif]
Tony H   05-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Alaric88 Wrote:That's how Jack gets ahold of the compendium of srem

^ That.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
quikfix228   05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
yea and we needed to find out what a prick big brother tom was. id spice up my pistachio shells for him to steal anyday. one reason i love fpw so much is because every book that has to do with the ac/rj story is completely necessary to get all the pieces of the puzzle. as said above, the compendium is a huge part of the rest of the story. to each their own of course, but i do not think any of those books are close to boring or bad in any sense. keep reading, youll be satisfied.
Sigokat   05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Infernal is the last book I attempted to read in the RJ series. I was so put off by Gia's actions at the beginning of the book that I stopped reading and haven't continued. One day I will try again, but right now I'm busy reading so much else.

I also didn't like Jack and his father's "relationship" in Gateways and some of the things his father did I found a bit outrageous, but I plugged on regardless and finished that one.

But FPW is still a great write and I've enjoyed everything else of his I've read. And there's a reason he's making the big bucks and I'm not so...

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
t4terrific   05-08-2012, 10:25 PM
When Infernal was initially released, there were a lot of people picking it apart on this forum. Some more gently than others. Many felt it was the weakest of the lot. I agree, and still feel that it was the weakest of the entire series. I think the series recovered nicely though. Bloodlines was my favorite, next to The Tomb.
Alaric88   05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Sigokat Wrote:Infernal is the last book I attempted to read in the RJ series. I was so put off by Gia's actions at the beginning of the book that I stopped reading and haven't continued. One day I will try again, but right now I'm busy reading so much else.

I also didn't like Jack and his father's "relationship" in Gateways and some of the things his father did I found a bit outrageous, but I plugged on regardless and finished that one.

But FPW is still a great write and I've enjoyed everything else of his I've read. And there's a reason he's making the big bucks and I'm not so...

Gateways was the very first RJ book I read. My father picked it up for me at an airport somewhere (ironic?). It's what got me into the series and I love the relationship between Jack and his father. My favorite part was when his father finds out that Jack avenged his mother's death.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQltDXcqCC7fLZ2MUtvyJp...d2d6EFKIjG][Image: rWZjS.gif]
BK Akitas   05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
meh. everyone's got an opinion. I look at the entire series as a bigger picture, and it call comes together

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
karatelovr   05-20-2012, 06:52 PM
quikfix228 Wrote:yea and we needed to find out what a prick big brother tom was. id spice up my pistachio shells for him to steal anyday. one reason i love fpw so much is because every book that has to do with the ac/rj story is completely necessary to get all the pieces of the puzzle. as said above, the compendium is a huge part of the rest of the story. to each their own of course, but i do not think any of those books are close to boring or bad in any sense. keep reading, youll be satisfied.

I don't wish I HADN'T read it, obviously it moved the story along - but only just a bit as compared to other stories. I was calling it "weak" and I was disappointed it didn't follow the same formula, though I do appreciate the author trying something new. I do fully expect Tom just "disappearing" to reappear somehow in a future story (so no spoilers please!)

But, I just finished Bloodline which between that and Harbingers, answered a lot of questions / filled in back story so maybe we won't see Tom again....FPW does have a habit of killing off people I would like to have seen as Jack's ally, such as both of the reporters...