Tony H   08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller penned some of the most popular music of the 50's and 60's including

Stand By Me
Yakkity Yak
Poison Ivy
Kansas City
Hound Dog
Spanish Harlem
There Goes My Baby
Love Potion #9
On Broadway
Jailhouse Rock

Jerry Leiber was born and raised in Baltimore, MD which always made me proud to have been born and raised there myself. He is gone now, leaving behind an impressive legacy of music by which to remember him.

He was 78 years old.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Fenian1916   08-23-2011, 10:27 AM
What a loss

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
fpw   08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
He and Stoller were great producers as well. The echo and the single tympani beats on "There Goes My Baby" give Ben E. King's voice such an ethereal quality.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Died at 78 with work like that behind him?
I, uh, could live with that.
mad4tunes   08-24-2011, 01:16 PM
My favorite Lieber/Stoller song was "I (Who Have Nothing)". And nobody sang that like Tom Jones.

I think the only rock and roll songwriting teams who can even come close to these guys are Lennon/McCartney; Goffin/King; and Pomus/Shulman.

But they're all minor leaguers, comparitively.

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."