Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8   
Lisa   06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Wow. Our page for The Keep is a true triumph of circa-2000 web design. Good thing it was meant as a parody.
idrive   06-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I just recently discovered the movie on Netflix. I was really excited at first. Then I realized that this wasn't an homage to the book, it was the butchering of a good story. I get that sometimes you have to cut some story material in order to fit everything in, but I'm positive that they could have added more accurate story and cut some of the 10 minutes of Jeeps driving through the village at the beginning.

And what the hell happened to the sword? If the Nazis had know that they could defeat R with a Maglite, I think they could have scrounged something up.
BK Akitas   06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
The Man doesn't call it "Dude Where's My Book" for nothing.....

hmmmmmmm, any chance there'd be any studio interest in a remake?????

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
idrive   06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I'd only want them to do a remake if they can promise better casting. I actually think that that was my biggest issue with the film.
GuyOnEarth   08-02-2012, 07:33 PM
internetjunkie495 Wrote:Saturday morning. Bored at work with nothing to do. Decided to watch The Keep on You Tube.

Bad choice. :frusty:

I managed to stay with it for about 40 minutes before I threw in the towel. The scene where Glaeken's eyes glowed at the German soldiers had me doing an impression of Leonard Pinth-Garnell in Bad Cinema - "Frightfully awful. Really bit the big one." And, I was really surprised at the positive comments about Tangerine Dream's soundtrack. Absolutely horrible.

Apologies to anyone who liked the film but I love the book so much that I can't imagine anyone giving the movie a good review.

Actually Glaeken's eyes glowed at Romanian soldiers, not German. And the soundtrack is pretty good, I think. The movie overall is visually impressive, (except for Molasar himself) but I suspect Michael Mann thought a tall Transylvanian in a cloak might look kind of silly to a modern audience, given all the creatures people are used to seeing and take for granted in movies.
GuyOnEarth   08-02-2012, 09:54 PM
internetjunkie495 Wrote:Saturday morning. Bored at work with nothing to do. Decided to watch The Keep on You Tube.

Bad choice. :frusty:

I managed to stay with it for about 40 minutes before I threw in the towel. The scene where Glaeken's eyes glowed at the German soldiers had me doing an impression of Leonard Pinth-Garnell in Bad Cinema - "Frightfully awful. Really bit the big one." And, I was really surprised at the positive comments about Tangerine Dream's soundtrack. Absolutely horrible.

Apologies to anyone who liked the film but I love the book so much that I can't imagine anyone giving the movie a good review.

Actually Glaeken's eyes glowed at Romanian soldiers, not German. And the soundtrack is pretty good, I think. The movie overall is visually impressive, (except for Molasar himself) but I suspect Michael Mann thought a tall Transylvanian in a cloak might look kind of silly to a modern audience, given all the creatures people are used to seeing and take for granted in movies.
GuyOnEarth   08-02-2012, 09:58 PM
idrive Wrote:I'd only want them to do a remake if they can promise better casting. I actually think that that was my biggest issue with the film.

If you don't think Ian McKellan, Jurgen Prochnow, Gabriel Byrne, and Scott Glenn are good actors, I'd be real curious to hear who you think should be cast?
cobalt   08-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the board, Guy.

Did you like the movie? I'm one of the few that actually liked the movie....most don't.

EWMAN
GuyOnEarth   08-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Yes, I liked it. I didn't actually read the book till just last year. I saw the movie not long after it came out. I didn't really know anything about the Adversary cycle, I'm working my way through it now. I can see why someone familiar with the book would not like the movie. I've always been a fan of Michael Mann, so that's probably part of it. I don't know if the decisions made about the movie were all his, or the guy who wrote the screenplay, or exactly who "messed it up", but I'll admit it does lack coherence compared to the book.
wdg3rd   08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
A typical example of good cast, crap script and/or crap directing (and even good directing can't fix a bad script). Examples that come to mind are Fletch (Chevy Chase was a good choice, but his hair should have been bleached). Suck script. And one other I just commented on, Remo Williams. Decent cast. Really bad script. Haven't seen much of the director's other work beyond several of my least favorite Bond films.

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8