Pages (3): 1 2 3   
RootsReggae   07-07-2011, 12:11 PM
In the original Nightworld everyone wanted Jack to wield the sword but the sword would only accept Glaeken. Jack series seems to be setting him up for the job of defending the Ally. First there is the whole "spear has no branches" thing, and killing off his loved ones. And Glaeken doesn't want to reprise his role, he expects Jack to take over. So I've been wondering if this is going play out the same as the original Nightworld, with Jack trying the sword first, then everyone else, then finally Glaeken being the only one. What does everyone else think will happen in the revised book? Is Jack going to be the hero or Glaeken?
nonquixote   07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I suspect that part will stay pretty much the same. I believe any rewriting is going to be done more to fit RJ developments into the storyline and weed out anachronisms than to alter the plot very much.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Marc   07-07-2011, 01:02 PM
I asked Paul this a while back. He told me the "heavily revised" is from the original release, not the Borderlands limited edition. I'm sure there will be some changes from that edition to this final one, but not nearly as much.

And this change to Nightworld would be pretty appalling to me. Doing this would make it much more a Jack book, and less an Adversary Cycle book. It's a more tragic story if Glaeken reverts to his younger self since at this point he wants to die.

(On a side note, I altered the thread title so people know this contains spoilers.)
Dave F   07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Interesting question, I wondered this when I read the Borderlands version.

Given Jacks larger role in the otherness I thought FPW might throw a huge curve ball and have Jack wield the sword

Guess you'll just have to wait & see if he did

(If Marc hasn't given it awayBig Grin)

The artist formally known as Britfan
nonquixote   07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Since the spoiler notice has gone up, I now feel free to state my preference that Jack not be the one to wield the sword. I rather feel he deserves to be able to grow old with Gia and Vicky. I agree that the alternative is also sad for Glaeken, but he is already inured to the demands of immortality.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Alvin Fox   07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
If Jack is able to make demands of the Ally, who says Glaeken can't?
Lisa   07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't think Jack has the right personality to be the "sword wielder." Just my opinion.
Damin J. Toell   07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I think Jack not wielding the sword is a great twist. In fact, I think it works even better as a twist now that Jack's series had been seeming to lead up to Jack taking over. Glaeken's fate is also more effective due to it's tragic nature, as stated earlier in the thread.
The Mad American   07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Marc Wrote:I asked Paul this a while back. He told me the "heavily revised" is from the original release, not the Borderlands limited edition. I'm sure there will be some changes from that edition to this final one, but not nearly as much.

And this change to Nightworld would be pretty appalling to me. Doing this would make it much more a Jack book, and less an Adversary Cycle book. It's a more tragic story if Glaeken reverts to his younger self since at this point he wants to die.

(On a side note, I altered the thread title so people know this contains spoilers.)

Well said on how that change to Nightworld would be a major bummer. It would move it from the Adversary Cycle and move it firmly into the RJ series. I haven't read the revised Borderlands edition yet and I hope it stays true to the original, which I have read.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

RootsReggae   07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
sorry for not putting up spoiler. I forget that some people haven't read this 20 year old book. I have not read borderlands edition. I have the Tor version from 1992. I'm glad it was the 2nd book I read with jack and I enjoyed the orginal experiance.

For most of nightworld Glaeken thought that Jack would be taking over the power, so it makes sense that Jack's series would be would be working towards that succession of power. It emphasises the original twist that only glaeken can wield it, and it's time for immortality again. I had to wonder if that scene was going to change though. The ally killed Jacks whole family. It sent telepathic messages to an occulus with orders to kill them all. What's Jack supposed to think when he touches the sword and nothing happens? Dad, Kate, Tom, and fetus all died for what again Mr. Ally?
Pages (3): 1 2 3