Pages (15):    1 3 4 5 6 7 15   
ccosborne3   06-15-2011, 11:01 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:Zombies: The Night of the Living Dead (original)

End of the World: War of the Worlds (original, but the remake wasn't so bad)

Monsters: The Thing (original...and again the remake rocked too.)
Aliens

War of the Worlds, what a great flick. I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I'll always remember the scene where the 3 guys get vaporized to kick off the festivities.
rjack_fan   06-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Some of my favorites would be
The Shining
It (I saw this when I was waaay to young, really stuck with me)
The Vanishing (French version, hated the American remake)

I have a terrible fear of being lost and deserted roads, so movies like Wrong Turn and Rest Stop (2006 Australia) scare the crap out of me. I'm always the person in the car saying, don't stop here, i've seen that movie and it doesn't end well!

My husband loves The Devils Rejects, Night of the Living Dead, and Texas Chainsaw Masacre (original).
The Mad American   06-16-2011, 04:32 AM
ccosborne3 Wrote:I've also been championing this movie for years. It's a smart horror film with a tremendous buildup and great payoff.

Okay I watched "Burnt Offerings" tonight and liked it. The jury is still out for me to say if I really liked it. Oliver Reed and Karen Black were really good in it and Bette Davis can play creepy like no one. It was old school slow paced and had a decent payoff but I am still undecided on it as a whole.

Guess I should try and get some sleep and see how I feel about it after I let it stew for a bit.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Lisa   06-16-2011, 08:38 AM
In the Mouth of Madness is a great movie. I was under the impression that most people thought it sucked, LOL. Glad to see other people like it too.

Let the Right One In is very good as well! I haven't seen the American redo.
Fenian1916   06-16-2011, 08:50 AM
John Carpenter's Halloween

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Tony H   06-16-2011, 10:11 AM
The Mad American Wrote:Okay I watched "Burnt Offerings" tonight and liked it. The jury is still out for me to say if I really liked it. Oliver Reed and Karen Black were really good in it and Bette Davis can play creepy like no one. It was old school slow paced and had a decent payoff but I am still undecided on it as a whole.

Guess I should try and get some sleep and see how I feel about it after I let it stew for a bit.

Burnt Offerings is a slow building film that is richly layered and doesn't go for quick cheap scares. It works well because it is subtle and creepy and the house isn't overtly haunted, no slamming doors or windows, no moving objects, I like the way it just feeds on negativity and manipulates the inhabitants, slowly driving them mad.

This is a "living house" movie, not a "haunted house". They never get into the why, it just is. I think the lack of explanation is off-putting for some. Is it ghosts of previous occupants? Is it the devil? Who knows.

All I know is I was terrified of the chauffeur, creepy Sardonicus smile.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Fenian1916   06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I've watched that movie a few times and just never could get to the point of liking it. Maybe it's just the fact that nothing is ever explained as to why or what is going on with that house.

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
RootsReggae   06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Event Horizon
Tony H   06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
RootsReggae Wrote:Event Horizon

Indeed. Great film.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Fenian1916   06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
AsMoral Wrote:Indeed. Great film.

I liked this

Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Pages (15):    1 3 4 5 6 7 15