Pages (15):    1 10 11 12 13 14 15   
Aprilis   06-21-2011, 02:13 AM
haha ... I didnt even notice I wrote Sean instead of Shaun ....

i once had a bf named Shawn and I told his mom she spelled in like a girl Smile

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
PicardRex   06-21-2011, 01:25 PM
APhew Wrote:Love the Italian Horror maestros, as well as Gordon (even up to Dagon).

I know it's a love/hate thing for old time zombie film fans, but I really enjoyed Snyder's remake of Dawn. I love the fact that, depending on my mood, I have two different films with the same basic premise and completely different approaches to the subject matter to scratch that zombie watching itch. I know Romero got a lot of flack for his more recent entries, but I've enjoyed them as well. He's still kept his social commentary going in a lot of new ways.

I agreee with Snyder's remake, I enjoy it even though I know many old school zombie purists hate the idea of fast zombies.

To me thats the problem with Romero, where Romero was once subtle with the commentary, like the original Dawn, you can take it as a straight up zombie movie or as an allegory on consumerism, now he beats you over the head with it. I thought Survival of the Dead was absolute crap, I wanted to like it so badly and had to force myself to finish it.

Dagon was good, not many people can tackle the Lovecraft stuff and do it right.
webby   07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
We watched Event Horizon last night. Pretty good. Tense and kinda spooky. A haunted house in outer space vibe. Even something that sounded a lot like The Otherness, though they didn't call it that, of course. Enjoyable, though I wouldn't list it as one of my favorites of all time.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
t4terrific   07-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Freaks, and The Invisible Man are two of my favorite classic horror films. More modern, I like Halloween. I also like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
The Mad American   07-04-2011, 06:37 PM
t4terrific Wrote:Freaks, and The Invisible Man are two of my favorite classic horror films. More modern, I like Halloween. I also like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The original "Halloween" is top notch. The Rob Zombie remake, bleh(he should be forced to stop making horror movies since it is so obvious he doesn't get it, at all).

Freaks was disturbing to me and it wasn't even about the story but the imagery.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

crlovel   07-05-2011, 10:14 AM
The Descent and Dog Soldiers both come to mind as awesome horror/survival movies. Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead were both a lot of fun, but Fido, another awesome zombie comedy, usually goes unmentioned. This was a great movie, well worth watching, and one I like a lot more than the other two.

I enjoyed Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead, but, the original is much better. Normally I do not approve of fast zombies, but this movie made good use of them. My main issue with the movie was how completely unlikeable all of the characters were. I can look back on the original and remember names - I cared about them. I was actually sad when people died. The remake, even though it was fast-paced and fun, while I remember a few of the actors in it, I don't know a single character name, and I own the movie and have seen it many times.

One of my all-time favorite horror movies ever made is the original uncut version of The Wicker Man, with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward. Just a great slow suspenseful build-up and curious mystery, with an awesome ending.

Another awesome old movie is Oliver Reed's The Devils. If you've not seen this, you absolutely must.
This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 10:17 AM by crlovel.
t4terrific   07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
The Mad American Wrote:The original "Halloween" is top notch.
A perfect example of how much can be done with so little.
The Mad American   07-06-2011, 12:07 AM
t4terrific Wrote:A perfect example of how much can be done with so little.

Exactly. Who knew a James Kirk halloween mask could be so frightenening?

~ Red Buttons

The Mad American   07-06-2011, 12:11 AM
crlovel Wrote:The Descent and Dog Soldiers both come to mind as awesome horror/survival movies. Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead were both a lot of fun, but Fido, another awesome zombie comedy, usually goes unmentioned. This was a great movie, well worth watching, and one I like a lot more than the other two.

I enjoyed Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead, but, the original is much better. Normally I do not approve of fast zombies, but this movie made good use of them. My main issue with the movie was how completely unlikeable all of the characters were. I can look back on the original and remember names - I cared about them. I was actually sad when people died. The remake, even though it was fast-paced and fun, while I remember a few of the actors in it, I don't know a single character name, and I own the movie and have seen it many times.

One of my all-time favorite horror movies ever made is the original uncut version of The Wicker Man, with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward. Just a great slow suspenseful build-up and curious mystery, with an awesome ending.

Another awesome old movie is Oliver Reed's The Devils. If you've not seen this, you absolutely must.

Great picks. I too love "Dog Soldiers"(probably in my top 5 list, it is Night of the Living Dead with werewolves and humor) and "The Descent" but I really am growing to dislike Neil Marshall, it is like he pulled a bait and switch on us with those first two movies.

I don't think "Fido" was better than "Shaun of the Dead" though. But I too liked both versions of Dawn, the original for its very clear message that so many people missed and the remake just for the fun of it.

"Wicker Man" was great but Nicolas Cage should be flogged for the remake, what a pile of garbage that was. I have not seen "The Devils" but will search out a copy to view.

~ Red Buttons

ccosborne3   07-06-2011, 01:36 AM
The Mad American Wrote:The original "Halloween" is top notch. The Rob Zombie remake, bleh(he should be forced to stop making horror movies since it is so obvious he doesn't get it, at all).

Freaks was disturbing to me and it wasn't even about the story but the imagery.

I think Zombie has it in him to create a good film some day. It just hasn't happened yet.
Pages (15):    1 10 11 12 13 14 15