Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
The Mad American   06-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Super 8 is a great experience! Highly recommended.

I am supposed to be able to sneak away and see this later today. Every positive review makes me more excited to see it.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

APhew   06-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Really enjoyed Super 8. It single-handedly restored my faith in original movies and the way that kid movies are supposed to be. Not since The Goonies and Monster Squad has a movie featuring kids been this much fun and reminded me a lot of my own childhood and how I actually interacted with my friends. Especially all those times we encountered monsters, both real and imagined.
The Mad American   06-17-2011, 11:36 PM
I really really liked this movie. (finally got out to see it).

It was nostalgic for me being it took place during the time of my childhood and was a fun summer movie. Great pace and action. Some original stuff but also some good old tried and true stuff as well.

4 thumbs up from me.

~ Red Buttons

Mick C.   06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I saw it and enjoyed it a lot (as did my sons). And I was even kind of in the movie...

There's a scene where the kid who's the film director gives a copy of a magazine to the hero and tells him to read it. You see the cover, and it's a copy of SUPER-8 FILMAKER, a small-circulation magazine from the 1970s for amateur (read: pre-video) filmakers.

What really made me jump out out my seat a little: that particular issue contained the first article I ever sold to a magazine...back in 1978 or so. Wow.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Sigokat   06-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Well, I just got back from this movie and unlike others here my opinion is not nearly as encouraging as the rest. To me the movie was...meh.

I found it pretty unoriginal as numerous times throughout the movie I felt like I could have been watching any number of " '80s style" popcorn flicks. There was just too much predicatiblity for me as well and not one character really stood out as one that I could be empathic towards.

And the "monster"...yep...can we say Cloverfield?

I mean there were times I laughed at some of the witty dialogue, but that's about it. Nothing great, nothing spectular, and nothing to make me understand why its been hyped up as much as it has.

Even though this movie was meant to be about more than just a "monster" it was poorly conveyed. The scene with the boy (can't even remember his name) and his necklace...I understand the significance, but it was just...I don't know...lame.

This movie sure makes me think twice about JJ Abrams as well. Even though Star Trek was good, I can't say much about the rest of his resume. After the fiasco that LOST turned in to and now this...I'll think twice before paying theater prices to watch his movies. Oh and I met him in the "sandbox" when he and the cast of Star Trek came and gave us a pre-release screening of the film. He was extremely pompous and arrogant which I would understand if he was actually as good as those he's compared to (P Jackson, Del Torimo (sp?) ) but he's not. He's just an arrogant jerk that has yet to grasp the idea of original film making.

Again all my opinion.
This post was last modified: 06-18-2011, 11:50 PM by Sigokat.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
The Mad American   06-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I have not been a fan of JJ Abrams at all, hated Cloverfield and never could get into Lost but I really did like this movie.

It wasn't a set the world on fire, original concept or idea but I thought it was very well done.

The funny thing for me was, seeing that classic "Amblin Entertainment" logo at the start pretty much set the mood. It was what I expected, a kind of modern day E.T. without as much afterschool special.

~ Red Buttons

Alvin Fox   06-19-2011, 01:38 PM
I enjoyed the movie. However, thinking back I realized that everything the kids did didn't matter. They could have done absolutely nothing and the train would have still crashed, the alien escaped, the alien stole parts to build a giant electromagnet and wait for it to power up.

And besides the aliens visual similarity to Cloverfield's monster I thought it made roars and clicking noises exactly like the Black Smoke Monster from Lost. In fact, I would have preferred this being the Black Smoke Monster. I miss Lost.
Marc   06-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Did you notice the John Locke Pharmacy? And the black smoke monster made a cameo too. Smile
Brian   06-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Good thing I decided to wait for this one to come out on DVD. Lots of spoilers in this thread. LOL

There is no wise man without fault
Sigokat   06-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Brian Wrote:Good thing I decided to wait for this one to come out on DVD. Lots of spoilers in this thread. LOL

well don't read the damn thing unless you've seen the movie.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4