Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Tony H   06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I hated the handi-cam aspect of it but at the same time I thought it was a brilliant story-telling device. A tale of a massive disaster told from the lens of a camcorder.

It was way better than Blair Witch in scope, the glimpses of the monster and the chaos through an unsteady hand was brilliant.

But, it was a bit nauseating on the big screen. I enjoyed it more on the television then I did on the movie screen.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
The Mad American   06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I hated the handi-cam aspect of it but at the same time I thought it was a brilliant story-telling device. A tale of a massive disaster told from the lens of a camcorder.

It was way better than Blair Witch in scope, the glimpses of the monster and the chaos through an unsteady hand was brilliant.

But, it was a bit nauseating on the big screen. I enjoyed it more on the television then I did on the movie screen.

I agree that it was a brilliant story-telling device and I loved the perspective of a massive monster driven disaster film being told from that angle but it just seemed so extremely over the top.

Not even the scary, running/panic parts of it. The parts at the party before anything bad happened were just as bad for me as anything else. I could buy the shaky thing when people were paniced and running through the streets but not during the normal parts. I suck ass at home video and I have never ever filmed anything that remotely shook and stayed off focus like the stuff in Cloverfield.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

crlovel   06-10-2011, 02:52 PM
The camcorder as the storyteller is great. Cloverfield and Blair Witch were somewhat hokey, but then again, so was Cannibal Holocaust, which I am pretty sure first used the camcorder technique. Actually, Blair Witch seemed to take the whole basic plot from Cannibal Holocaust - guys get lost in woods, film found, people review tape, release to theatres. One used a witch, another used savages. CH was a LOT more shocking than Blair Witch, though.

I can't wait to see Super 8, it looks fun.
LolaRennt   06-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Saw Super 8 and enjoyed it. I didn't mind that the previews didn't show all. I am growing increasingly annoyed by trailers that show way too much information. I'm not going to see Warrior. Why? Because I already know that the guy that goes into fighting makes his way into the championships and (gasp) has to fight his BROTHER. Really? Why on earth would I care to see the movie now? They might as well just skip to the end of the fight so the audience knows which brother wins.

Who comes up with these advertising strategies? Chimpanzees?

Why do I always do this to myself???
Medusa   06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I hated the handi-cam aspect of it but at the same time I thought it was a brilliant story-telling device. A tale of a massive disaster told from the lens of a camcorder.

Damn thanks for the warning. I get motion sickness so easy at movies with the "handi cam". As long as I take my Damamine before I am fine. I spent all of Quarantine in the lobby.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Marc   06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Saw Super 8 this afternoon. Really liked it a lot. Once the train accident (which is an adrenaline rush) happens it's pretty much none stop. I was actually a bit emotionally drained by the end.
Tony H   06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Medusa Wrote:Damn thanks for the warning. I get motion sickness so easy at movies with the "handi cam". As long as I take my Damamine before I am fine. I spent all of Quarantine in the lobby.

Just so there isn't any confusion, I was talking about "Cloverfield" not "Super 8".

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
The Mad American   06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Marc Wrote:Saw Super 8 this afternoon. Really liked it a lot. Once the train accident (which is an adrenaline rush) happens it's pretty much none stop. I was actually a bit emotionally drained by the end.

So glad to hear this, I will be seeing this tomorrow and hope it lives up to the hype.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Medusa   06-16-2011, 12:24 AM
AsMoral Wrote:Just so there isn't any confusion, I was talking about "Cloverfield" not "Super 8".
Oh good! I don't want to take Dramamine if I don't have to.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Scott Hajek   06-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Super 8 is a great experience! Highly recommended.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4