Pages (2):    1 2
wdg3rd   04-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Then there is the "Rhesus" Factor which is an "either/or" thing -- you either have it, (+) or you don't, (-).

You can transfuse a "don't" type of blood to someone who has "do" blood. but not the other way around -- the body will reject it. Or make them very sick.

So, blood without any other factor -- O negative -- can be used by anybody who has either O+, A-, A+, B-, B+, AB-, or AB+. Someone who has O- blood is called a universal donor.

About the only time the rhesus factor matters is if the recipient is female, negative, and likely to breed in the future.

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
KRW   04-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Then there could be no transfusion.
It's not.

Medical researchers have probably found other factors in blood over the years, but basically there is what I'll call (for lack of a better term) "basic blood," which is type "O". Then there are types with "additives" like factors "A" and "B" -- including the type that has both "A" and "B."

Then there is the "Rhesus" Factor which is an "either/or" thing -- you either have it, (+) or you don't, (-).

You can transfuse a "don't" type of blood to someone who has "do" blood. but not the other way around -- the body will reject it. Or make them very sick.

So, blood without any other factor -- O negative -- can be used by anybody who has either O+, A-, A+, B-, B+, AB-, or AB+. Someone who has O- blood is called a universal donor.

While someone who has AB+ is called the universal recipient.

As an aside, this reminds me of the John Wayne movie HATARI. In one scene on character (called "the Indian") needs a transfusion. The doctor claims that he has a rare blood type -- AB negative -- and that it might be difficult to find a donor. WRONG!

Anybody with RH negative blood can donate to him -- A-, B-, AB-, or O-.

I hope I haven't added to the confusion.

Ken V.
Do other animals have differant blood types like this?
lexator222   04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Anybody with RH negative blood can donate to him -- A-, B-, AB-, or O-.
I hope I haven't added to the confusion.
Ken V.

We are not talking about real life here, people. We are talking about the "Jack" universe, but since you don't seem to be understanding what I am getting at, or you just don't give a damn, I will shut up and leave the board for another couple of years, like I did before. You will all get along better without my input anyway.
Lexx
This post was last modified: 05-06-2011, 02:46 PM by lexator222.

JACK fan
Ken Valentine   04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
wdg3rd Wrote:About the only time the rhesus factor matters is if the recipient is female, negative, and likely to breed in the future.
And then, only if her husband is RH positive. Generally speaking, (If I remember correctly) in her first pregnancy, the baby would get sick but in the second pregnancy -- after her body had built up antibodies -- the second baby (and possibly the mother as well) will not survive.

But transfusing someone who is RH negative with RH positive blood will make them sick.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   04-23-2011, 10:38 PM
KRW Wrote:Do other animals have differant blood types like this?
I don't know, but they might. The Rhesus (RH) factor has the name it does because there was something in the blood of the Rhesus Monkey that was used to create some sort of serum to type human blood with.

Ken V.
wdg3rd   04-24-2011, 03:47 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:And then, only if her husband is RH positive. Generally speaking, (If I remember correctly) in her first pregnancy, the baby would get sick but in the second pregnancy -- after her body had built up antibodies -- the second baby (and possibly the mother as well) will not survive.

But transfusing someone who is RH negative with RH positive blood will make them sick.

Ken V.

Without transfusion, first Rh+ child Rh- mother Rh+ father, no problem. I offer myself (A+) as example.

Transfusion to a female of Rh+ blood or pregnancy with Rh+ child (this usually includes pregnancies ending in miscarriage or other abortion, but duration can be a factor) almost always results in production of maternal antibodies which will attack any later Rh+ fetus, though Rh- fetuses (feti?) are safe. Thus my first sister (O-) no problem, my second sister (A+) some problems, my third sister (O+) serious problems and amazing she survived even with lots of care (as in total blood replacement by transfusion immediately after birth). I never knew the details and my mother's memory is not what it once was (and it wasn't that reliable on her best day). But it caused me to make some study of genetics at a very early age, surprising grade school teachers by knowing the difference between genotype and phenotype (several of them had to look it up).

Transfusion or earlier Rh+ pregnancy(s) notwithstanding, Rh- children by an Rh- mother carry no more than normal risk (which is more risk than I was ever willing to cause, I had a vasectomy fairly young due to cowardice and consideration).
This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 03:56 AM by wdg3rd.

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
Pages (2):    1 2