KRW   04-18-2011, 12:49 AM
This was a much better movie than I was expecting. Robert Duvall, once again, gives a stellar performance. But when I saw Bill Murray's name in the credits, I was expecting at least a partial comedy. Bill has his moments that are funny, but he put on a great performance also. (Maybe his best.) I loved it.
The Mad American   04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
KRW Wrote:This was a much better movie than I was expecting. Robert Duvall, once again, gives a stellar performance. But when I saw Bill Murray's name in the credits, I was expecting at least a partial comedy. Bill has his moments that are funny, but he put on a great performance also. (Maybe his best.) I loved it.

This is pretty close to the top of the list of movies I want to see. Looked pretty funny and interesting. Duvall plays these kinds of characters so well.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

KRW   04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
The Mad American Wrote:This is pretty close to the top of the list of movies I want to see. Looked pretty funny and interesting. Duvall plays these kinds of characters so well.

Put it at the top. You won't be disappointed.
GeraldRice   04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I had it from the library. Afraid the missus wouldn't watch and time ran out. I'll have to get it again (surprisingly, not that many requests for it).

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
t4terrific   04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
KRW Wrote:Put it at the top. You won't be disappointed.
I added it, and topped it. Netflix said it was comparable to another film, one that I like a lot. I think you would like The Straight Story. If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it.
Scott Miller   04-19-2011, 03:54 PM
t4terrific Wrote:I added it, and topped it. Netflix said it was comparable to another film, one that I like a lot. I think you would like The Straight Story. If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it.

The Straight Story is, IMO, David Lynch's best film; excellent story based on actual events to boot. I'm planning on watching Get Low in the not-too-distant future.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
KRW Wrote:Put it at the top.
Rented it yesterday, watched it last night.
Quote: You won't be disappointed.
I wasn't.

Thanks.

Ken V.
KRW   04-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Rented it yesterday, watched it last night.I wasn't.

Thanks.

Ken V.

It's not often a movie sucker punches me like this one did. Maybe because I just wasn't expecting it, IDK. Duvalls performance at the end left me with a tear in my eye.

And your welcome.... this is a movie I'd recommend to almost anybody.Smile
Ken Valentine   04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
KRW Wrote:It's not often a movie sucker punches me like this one did. Maybe because I just wasn't expecting it, IDK. Duvalls performance at the end left me with a tear in my eye.

And your welcome.... this is a movie I'd recommend to almost anybody.Smile
One damn fine actor!

And if you haven't already seen it, I'd like to recommend Secondhand Lions. Starring Robert Duvall and Michael Caine.

The movie takes place in the mid 1960's when two aging brothers move back to Texas after an absense of more than 40 years. Nobody knows where they have been, but there are lots of rumors -- also rumors that they are fabuously wealthy.

Their niece drops her son off (uninvited) for the summer and the brothers don't want him there any more than he wants to be there. But they begin to grow on each other, and the Michael Caine character (Garth McCann) starts telling the boy wild stories about the French Foreign Legion, evil Shieks, and beautiful Arabian Princesses.

It's a very heart-warming movie, and as an aside, Michael Caine has a better Texas accent than Robert Duvall. Big Grin

In my view, any movie with Robert Duvall in it is going to be well worth watching.

And speaking of Michael Caine, the movie Harry Brown is also a really good thriller -- high on my recommendation list.

Ken V.
This post was last modified: 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM by Ken Valentine.