Pages (11):    1 2 3 4 5 6 11   
Opopanax   04-20-2011, 04:44 PM
So, has anyone watched the first episode of Game of Thrones? I saw it a few days ago and I must say I was impressed and excited.
Anyone have any thoughts on the cast?
I particularly enjoyed the casting of Jaime Lannister. Of course, that could have to do with the fact that I think the same actor might make a good Jack if it ever came to that...
ccosborne3   04-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Opopanax Wrote:So, has anyone watched the first episode of Game of Thrones? I saw it a few days ago and I must say I was impressed and excited.
Anyone have any thoughts on the cast?
I particularly enjoyed the casting of Jaime Lannister. Of course, that could have to do with the fact that I think the same actor might make a good Jack if it ever came to that...

To expand a little, I didn't read the books and really had no idea who anyone was when the show was over. It also didn't have much of a sense of place as there were just as many locales as there was characters. It really should have been longer.
The Mad American   04-21-2011, 01:39 AM
ccosborne3 Wrote:To expand a little, I didn't read the books and really had no idea who anyone was when the show was over. It also didn't have much of a sense of place as there were just as many locales as there was characters. It really should have been longer.

I read the books and I completely agree with you here. It should have been at least two hours and there should have been at least some backstory for those who hadn't read the books. Way too much info and too many characters who play major roles to be introduced in one hour.

My wife watched with me and she mentioned that if she hadn't had me to answer questions she would have not understood it in a way that allowed her to enjoy it.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Tall Tyrion   04-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:And maybe you said it elsewhere, but I'm just now getting your screen name; so you're just a taller version?

The very first online message board I ever signed up for was based around ASOIAF on EZBoard. Like most, I tried to get a username that referenced the books. Since Tyrion is my favorite character, I chose him as a moniker. There are many places in the books that refer to Tyrion's stature ironically ("The Giant of Lannister" etc...), so I decided on "Tall Tyrion".

When I discovered other EZBoards, the name followed and I've been using it at all boards I sign up for ever since.

James Newman's novel The Wicked, first mass market printing available now!
http://shocktotem.com/
Tall Tyrion   04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Has anyone read Martin's THE ARMAGEDDON RAG? It's the best rock'n'roll novel I've ever read. (Not that there's a whole lot of quality competition...Sad)

I loved TAR. I've read most if not all of Martin's books, and they never fail to satisfy.

Other Rock 'n' Roll/horror books are "The Kill Riff" by David J Schow and the two Shock Rock anthologies. Can't think of any others off hand.

James Newman's novel The Wicked, first mass market printing available now!
http://shocktotem.com/
Scott Miller   04-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Tall Tyrion Wrote:I loved TAR. I've read most if not all of Martin's books, and they never fail to satisfy.

Other Rock 'n' Roll/horror books are "The Kill Riff" by David J Schow and the two Shock Rock anthologies. Can't think of any others off hand.

The Scream by John Skipp and Craig Spector and Crucifax or Crucifax Autumn(same book-new title)by Ray Garton are two excellent horror novels that feature rock-n-roll prominently.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Scott Miller   04-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I watched the second episode last night and I'm hoping all this prologue leads to something special. At least I'm still planning on watching it unlike Camelot which has been removed from my recording list.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
IanSF   04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I watched the second episode last night and I'm hoping all this prologue leads to something special. At least I'm still planning on watching it unlike Camelot which has been removed from my recording list.

It's on our screens tonight, and I'll be giving it another go to see how it develops.
Anemone of the State   04-25-2011, 01:46 PM
After the second episode I'm even more intrigued. This is my current "show" on TV.

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
Robert A. Heinlein
The Mad American   04-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Anemone of the State Wrote:After the second episode I'm even more intrigued. This is my current "show" on TV.

And if they continue to stick to the books as close as they seem to be doing in the first two the major "holy crap!" moments are still a couple weeks away. That is when it will really hook you.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Pages (11):    1 2 3 4 5 6 11