Pages (11):    1 2 3 4 5 11   
Tall Tyrion   04-14-2011, 10:49 PM
The Mad American Wrote:I was a huge fan of Martin when the first three books came out. I am left with a very poor opinion of the man given what he did with the latest installments.

I understand that. I was disappointed with A Feast For Crows myself, mostly because my favorite POV character (guess which one) was absent. I'm hoping A Dance With Dragons redeems that perception...

From everything I'm seeing, HBO does ASOIAF more than justice. It's almost like having Jackson's Lord of The Rings coming out again.

James Newman's novel The Wicked, first mass market printing available now!
http://shocktotem.com/
The Mad American   04-15-2011, 12:34 PM
ccosborne3 Wrote:It's not even a physical beauty thing, Guinevere on the same show is better looking. She has presence. Oddly enough Helen Mirren had it too in the same role.

Exactly. I watched it last night and I think it has something to do with her eyes as well as the presence she has. The combination is insanely attractive. As you say she doesn't have that classical or commonly defined beauty thing going on but man, something about her.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

The Mad American   04-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Tall Tyrion Wrote:I understand that. I was disappointed with A Feast For Crows myself, mostly because my favorite POV character (guess which one) was absent. I'm hoping A Dance With Dragons redeems that perception...

From everything I'm seeing, HBO does ASOIAF more than justice. It's almost like having Jackson's Lord of The Rings coming out again.

Yeah I agree the previews I have seen look awesome and even against my own will I find myself getting more and more excited to see it.

And not only is your favorite character POV not in FOC (Wonder who that could be.....hmmmmm....Jaime Lannister?Wink) but neither is two of the biggest most interesting characters in Daenareys or Jon Snow. And how Martin has treated the fans of the series who have been waiting more than patiently for the new book has been some of the worst, most arrogant artist crap I have ever seen.

But damnit if I don't find myself being sucked back in by this HBO series.

~ Red Buttons

Tall Tyrion   04-17-2011, 11:48 AM
The Mad American Wrote:And not only is your favorite character POV not in FOC (Wonder who that could be.....hmmmmm....Jaime Lannister?Wink) but neither is two of the biggest most interesting characters in Daenareys or Jon Snow.

I know. I've read the sample chapters over and over. Ultimately, fans will come back, but I think he lost a lot of steam with the general reader.

James Newman's novel The Wicked, first mass market printing available now!
http://shocktotem.com/
The Mad American   04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Okay so it turned out my sattelite provider gave us a free preview of HBO this weekend so I got to watch the first episode of Game of Thrones last night.

Discussion below may contain spoilers:

First, some very good casting of a few characters. Emilia Clark as Danaerys and Jason Mamoa as Khal Drogo were perfect, Kit Harrington as Jon Snow and Sean Bean as Eddard Stark were great and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is exactly who I pictured him being.

The opening with the Night Watchmen going past the wall to hunt the Wildlings and running into the walkers was well done.

I watched this with my wife who has not read the books and she kept having to ask me what was going on and who characters were. It just seemed the writing for the opening episode of the series was pretty weak. If it hadn't been for me having read the books I can understand it being a bit confusing and slow moving. Very little plot creation and movement for someone unfamiliar with the books.

Looking at the IMDB page for this series kind of shows who the focus of the series will be, it lists Tyrion as being in only two episodes, if that is true it is a shame as he is a major character in the book to start.

I don't know...as excited as I was for this series I am left feeling, kind of let down. Hopefully the season will improve but for a huge premier episode it left me feeling disappointed. Should have been at least 2 hours for the premier and should have had more plot set up and movement than it did. Still, I will be exploring ways to keep up with the series until at least it pisses me off as badly as George RR Martin did with the books and then I will walk away...probably.

~ Red Buttons

Scott Miller   04-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I was a bit sleepy when I started watching and was confused as hell and I'm not sure I saw the end(I'll be checking in a moment). What I did see was alright but nothing great. Those were some big ass swords though.

The Mad American Wrote:Okay so it turned out my sattelite provider gave us a free preview of HBO this weekend so I got to watch the first episode of Game of Thrones last night.

First, some very good casting of a few characters. Emilia Clark as Danaerys and Jason Mamoa as Khal Drogo were perfect, Kit Harrington as Jon Snow and Sean Bean as Eddard Stark were great and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is exactly who I pictured him being.

The opening with the Night Watchmen going past the wall to hunt the Wildlings and running into the walkers was well done.

I watched this with my wife who has not read the books and she kept having to ask me what was going on and who characters were. It just seemed the writing for the opening episode of the series was pretty weak. If it hadn't been for me having read the books I can understand it being a bit confusing and slow moving. Very little plot creation and movement for someone unfamiliar with the books.

Looking at the IMDB page for this series kind of shows who the focus of the series will be, it lists Tyrion as being in only two episodes, if that is true it is a shame as he is a major character in the book to start.

I don't know...as excited as I was for this series I am left feeling, kind of let down. Hopefully the season will improve but for a huge premier episode it left me feeling disappointed. Should have been at least 2 hours for the premier and should have had more plot set up and movement than it did. Still, I will be exploring ways to keep up with the series until at least it pisses me off as badly as George RR Martin did with the books and then I will walk away...probably.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Medusa   04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Okay so it turned out my sattelite provider gave us a free preview of HBO this weekend so I got to watch the first episode of Game of Thrones last night.

My provider did the same thing. I'm sure to intice me to watch it and then want to sign up for HBO. I really did want to see it but I held off because I have no intention of getting HBO again. It just costs too much. (which is a shame because I love Sean Bean!)

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
The Mad American   04-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Medusa Wrote:My provider did the same thing. I'm sure to intice me to watch it and then want to sign up for HBO. I really did want to see it but I held off because I have no intention of getting HBO again. It just costs too much. (which is a shame because I love Sean Bean!)

That was my thought too Medusa, it was like a crack dealer. Just try it this one time for free...trust me, you'll like it.Big Grin

And they are launching a new HBO-Go thing that allows you to watch anything on HBO like the streaming Netflix stuff, if you are a subscriber. So I am sure it was to bring in new subscirbers. I won't be on of them either though.

~ Red Buttons

Brian   04-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I wasn't impressed a whole lot. Maybe it'll get better, I did fall asleep toward the end though. Good thing we DVR'ed it. I'll try watching it again when I'm more awake.

There is no wise man without fault
flyingfox   04-18-2011, 08:14 PM
In the UK it is only on Sky, Sky Atlantic. Virgin not got that channel, so I could not get it recorded by The Walking Dead, the new name my mum has given herself, lol. I will have to hope a terrestrial channel gets it one day. But doesnt sound like I missed much.

Sent from my mobile Arc using Tapatalk on Android
Pages (11):    1 2 3 4 5 11