turk mcgurk   02-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Let me first sat that I have been browsing these forums, and wow, it really seems like a great community and I think its great that FPW himself posts regularly!
Anyways i hope im not starting with a stupid question.

Im starting a new readthrough of secret history books, just reread The Keep. Now, in The Adversary Cycle lists: The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn. Secret History Timeline: The Keep then Reborn then The Tomb. Im sure its just a matter of preference, but I want the smoothest path to wrap my mind around all of THE MAN'S storylines as much as I can.
The Mad American   02-17-2011, 12:42 AM
turk mcgurk Wrote:Let me first sat that I have been browsing these forums, and wow, it really seems like a great community and I think its great that FPW himself posts regularly!

Im starting a new readthrough of secret history books, just reread The Keep. Now, in The Adversary Cycle lists: The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn. Secret History Timeline: The Keep then Reborn then The Tomb. Im sure its just a matter of preference, but I want the smoothest path to wrap my mind around all of THE MAN'S storylines as much as I can.

First, welcome to the board Turk.

FPW has posted a timeline. Give me a second and I will see if I can find it and link it here. And not a stupid question at all.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

rjack_fan   02-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Welcome!

There are several members here that can help with reading order - and there is some debate over the absolute best order. From what I've read in past threads you'd probably enjoy them either way!
The Mad American   02-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Okay, lets see. If you go to the welcome page of the RepairmanJack page, and then select works there is a timeline there.

http://repairmanjack.com/works.htm

Not only gives you the order but the dates associated with each piece of the Secret History.

Enjoy.Big Grin

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Ken Valentine   02-17-2011, 01:16 AM
turk mcgurk Wrote:Let me first sat that I have been browsing these forums, and wow, it really seems like a great community and I think its great that FPW himself posts regularly!

Welcome to the board Turk.

Paul originally wrote THE KEEP, THE TOMB, and THE TOUCH as stand-alone novels, then he connected them all with REBORN, REPRISAL, and NIGHTWORLD. Some here prefer to read them in published order, and others (like myself) prefer to read them in chronological order.

You've pretty much got it in regard to chronological order: THE KEEP, and REBORN come first, however all the Repairman Jack novels take place within the timeline of REPRISAL and ALL THE RAGE comes before THE TOUCH.

Have fun looking for all the links between the Adversary Cycle novels, the Repairman Jack novels and others. Like DEEP AS THE MARROW, THE SELECT, IMPLANT, SIBS and so on.

Ken V.
cobalt   02-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the board, Turk.....you'll like it here.

Make sure to find time to read Black Wind before By The Sword. Black Wind is my all time fav FPW book. It's a stand alone story....yet fits so well into the time line of things.

EWMAN
turk mcgurk   02-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies! I am just gonna go ahead and go for Reborn next. It works out good that way. I just finished secret vengeance, so I'll work dat tay vao in, then finally re-read the tomb. Just read sibs a few months ago.

All the while waiting VERY impatiently for reprisal, the dark at the end, and nightworld!

Also I have read black wind, and liked it alot. But it was a tough read for me compared to other FPW books.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-17-2011, 11:21 PM
turk mcgurk Wrote:Hey, thanks for the replies! I am just gonna go ahead and go for Reborn next. It works out good that way. I just finished secret vengeance, so I'll work dat tay vao in, then finally re-read the tomb. Just read sibs a few months ago.

All the while waiting VERY impatiently for reprisal, the dark at the end, and nightworld!

Also I have read black wind, and liked it alot. But it was a tough read for me compared to other FPW books.

Welcome to the gang, turk!
swandy   02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the board.
I had posted a similar question a while back - wanting to re-read the Adversary Cycle before the updated Nightworld was released next year.
If I remember correctly, Mr. Wilson did say that the first three (Keep, Tomb and Touch) were stand alone and could be read in any order and that the final three (Reborn, Reprisal and Nightworld) were intended to be read as a trilogy in order. But I believe he also said that all of the first three should all be read BEFORE reading the final three books. That is how I read them the first time through (before all the Jack books) and that is how I intend to re-read them now.
Steve