Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7   
Alvin Fox   11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
As my own little reference I've been making a list of various connections trying to link all of Paul's novels and short stories together, no matter how tenuous the link. I have Virgin linked with Crisscross and The Haunted Air. Legacies, Masque, Sims, and An Enemy of the State linked. All the Rage, Mirage, and Implant.

However, there's still several short stories and novels I haven't placed yet. I'm currently in the process of rereading everything and taking pages of notes but if anyone wants to enlighten me on connections that I haven't gotten to yet...

I haven't linked:
"Green Winter"
"Be Fruitful and Multiply"
"Soft"
"Cuts"
"The Tenth Toe"
"Definitive Therapy"
"Topsy"
"Rockabilly"
"Bob Dylan, Troy Johnson, and the Speed Queen"
"Dreams"
"The November Game"
"When He Was Fab"
"Please Don't Hurt Me"
"Offshore"
"Itsy Bitsy Spider"
"Lysing Toward Bethlehem"
"Aftershock"
"Anna"
"Sole Custody"
The Christmas Thingy
Midnight Mass
Artifact
Draculas

and "Sex Slaves of the Dragon Tong" and "Part of the Game" even though they are linked together. I read them right before Black Wind hoping at least a character would cross over.

Any help?
cobalt   11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
You want me to think?

EWMAN
Alvin Fox   11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Was that what that burning smell was? :p
Damin J. Toell   11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
From a quick glance at your list, one story sticks out: "Muscles." It's connected to other FPW works, such as THE TOUCH and HOSTS, in that it revolves around a reporter from the tabloid The Light. The reporter in "Muscles" is named Jay, although I don't think his last name was given. In HOSTS, a reporter named Jay Pokorny pops up a few times. I'm guessing that this is the same Jay from "Muscles."

Edited to add: on second thought, remembering how "Muscles" ends, the Jay from HOSTS probably isn't the Jay from "Muscles." Maybe The Light just likes hiring people named Jay.

I'm eager to see your breakdown of all the connections you've found so far.
This post was last modified: 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM by Damin J. Toell.
fpw   11-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, Matt, besides The Light link, I don't recall any crossovers in those stories. A lot of them take place in alternate universes incompatible with Jack's. But I have a poor memory, so if you find any, let me know.

AlvinFox Wrote:As my own little reference I've been making a list of various connections trying to link all of Paul's novels and short stories together, no matter how tenuous the link. I have Virgin linked with Crisscross and The Haunted Air. Legacies, Masque, Sims, and An Enemy of the State linked. All the Rage, Mirage, and Implant.

However, there's still several short stories and novels I haven't placed yet. I'm currently in the process of rereading everything and taking pages of notes but if anyone wants to enlighten me on connections that I haven't gotten to yet...

I haven't linked:
"Green Winter"
"Be Fruitful and Multiply"
"Soft"
"Buckets"
"Muscles"
"Cuts"
"The Tenth Toe"
"Definitive Therapy"
"Topsy"
"Rockabilly"
"Bob Dylan, Troy Johnson, and the Speed Queen"
"Dreams"
"The November Game"
"When He Was Fab"
"Please Don't Hurt Me"
"Offshore"
"Itsy Bitsy Spider"
"Lysing Toward Bethlehem"
"Aftershock"
"Anna"
"Sole Custody"
Nightkill
The Christmas Thingy
Midnight Mass
Artifact
Draculas

and "Sex Slaves of the Dragon Tong" and "Part of the Game" even though they are linked together. I read them right before Black Wind hoping at least a character would cross over.

Any help?

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
fpw   11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Damin J. Toell Wrote:From a quick glance at your list, one story sticks out: "Muscles." It's connected to other FPW works, such as THE TOUCH and HOSTS, in that it revolves around a reporter from the tabloid The Light. The reporter in "Muscles" is named Jay, although I don't think his last name was given. In HOSTS, a reporter named Jay Pokorny pops up a few times. I'm guessing that this is the same Jay from "Muscles."

Edited to add: on second thought, remembering how "Muscles" ends, the Jay from HOSTS probably isn't the Jay from "Muscles." Maybe The Light just likes hiring people named Jay.

I'm eager to see your breakdown of all the connections you've found so far.

Yeah, the "Muscles" Jay died in the 60s.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Alvin Fox   11-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Is the "Muscles" Jay the editor of The Light that disappeared and was mentioned in Gerald Becker's thoughts in Reborn?
fpw   11-10-2010, 09:09 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:Is the "Muscles" Jay the editor of The Light that disappeared and was mentioned in Gerald Becker's thoughts in Reborn?
Yup. That was in the 60s.

FPW
FAQ
Alvin Fox   11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
I want to connect "Buckets" because it's set in Monroe and the lead character works at Monroe Community Hospital.
fpw   11-14-2010, 04:58 PM
AlvinFox Wrote:I want to connect "Buckets" because it's set in Monroe and the lead character works at Monroe Community Hospital.
I think that's a good enough reason to add it to the Secret History.

FPW
FAQ
Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7