Pages (15):    1 9 10 11 12 13 15   
Tyler Edwards   05-05-2010, 05:14 AM
bjdotson Wrote:I would like to think that Tom went into the far past and started the family line that led to Jack

You have just divided by zero sir. Good show.
hillbilleter   05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
fpw Wrote:Between Nightworld and The Dark at the End (working title for RJ #15) I'm looking to tie up as much as possible. Here's the place to make suggestions. Maybe I've forgotten something and you can jog my memory.

I just signed up for the forum. Ever since I first read the statement, "A spear has no branches," I've had this niggling irritation at the base of my head. It really depends on what you're hunting. The strongest, most effective spear against sheer, instinctive, violent rage is the boar spear. It depends upon its branches as well as a firm foundation/leverage using the earth itself to stop the scariest force on legs.

The Ally might have won long ago had it forged branches on its spears and relied more upon the Earth (or whatever location was involved).
KRW   05-26-2010, 09:40 PM
hillbilleter Wrote:I just signed up for the forum. Ever since I first read the statement, "A spear has no branches," I've had this niggling irritation at the base of my head. It really depends on what you're hunting. The strongest, most effective spear against sheer, instinctive, violent rage is the boar spear. It depends upon its branches as well as a firm foundation/leverage using the earth itself to stop the scariest force on legs.

The Ally might have won long ago had it forged branches on its spears and relied more upon the Earth (or whatever location was involved).

Welcome to the board!!! I really like the insight you've given towards this. A boar spear is a mighty defensive weapon not just used against wild boars but also against advancing cavalries and infantries, but I would argue it is a defensive weapon and because it's butt is planted in the ground it would be properly called a stake. A spear can be defensive but is typically a more offensive weapon used both for spearing and throwing. Some ancient cultures actually used a devise called an atlatl to launch the spear even further. No matter how we slice it, a spear can be an awsome weapon!
hillbilleter   05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
KRW Wrote:Welcome to the board!!! I really like the insight you've given towards this. A boar spear is a mighty defensive weapon not just used against wild boars but also against advancing cavalries and infantries, but I would argue it is a defensive weapon and because it's butt is planted in the ground it would be properly called a stake. A spear can be defensive but is typically a more offensive weapon used both for spearing and throwing. Some ancient cultures actually used a devise called an atlatl to launch the spear even further. No matter how we slice it, a spear can be an awsome weapon!

Thanks for pointing out the offensive/defensive differences in boar spears and other spears. I suppose I just thought of the boar spear because of where I live. Our hunters hunt differently than hunters in flatlands and a spear for throwing over distances would only get tangled up in the environment. Our hunters use the environment to assist in the hunt.

I was talking to a Zuni Indian about the differences in hunting techniques between his hunters and hunters in the mountains and he pretty much stated your own philosophy - that you had to chase the animals and throw spears or shoot arrows in order to hunt. Here, that will just make a lot of noise and scare them away. We wait in trees or hidden in outcropping of rocks and become the environment. And there's a trick to watching an animal without letting it know you're watching.

Prey animals are sensitive to being observed, but there's a way to unfocus without losing focus, if that makes sense. It's hard to explain, but you can use it on people for practice, trying to make them feel you watch, then watching without letting them feel you. My grandfather taught me, and when he grew up you didn't eat any meat if you couldn't hunt it; and anyone, man or woman, who wasted a shot wasn't very useful in feeding the family. So you had to know how to conserve all your energies, and the boar spear was vital to survival for a lot of poor hillfolk.

But, I understand that the open field of battle is very different from the hunt for instinct-driven animals. In one, you're open about your intentions; in the other, you have to keep the animal from knowing you're there. And a panicked animal tastes like adrenaline, which is what makes some people dislike venison. They think it all tastes "gamey," but that's because the hunter scared the animal or didn't kill it quick, before it knew what was happening. It's hard to kill a boar without having the strong adrenaline taste throughout the meat, though. They're generally upset a lot.
DaveStrorm   05-28-2010, 09:00 PM
hillbilleter Wrote:Thanks for pointing out the offensive/defensive differences in boar spears and other spears. I suppose I just thought of the boar spear because of where I live. Our hunters hunt differently than hunters in flatlands and a spear for throwing over distances would only get tangled up in the environment. Our hunters use the environment to assist in the hunt.

I have nothing to add to the spear conversation Big Grin but I thought I'd welcome a fellow bluegrass state poster. What part of the state are you from?
KRW   05-28-2010, 10:13 PM
hillbilleter Wrote:Thanks for pointing out the offensive/defensive differences in boar spears and other spears. I suppose I just thought of the boar spear because of where I live. Our hunters hunt differently than hunters in flatlands and a spear for throwing over distances would only get tangled up in the environment. Our hunters use the environment to assist in the hunt.

I was talking to a Zuni Indian about the differences in hunting techniques between his hunters and hunters in the mountains and he pretty much stated your own philosophy - that you had to chase the animals and throw spears or shoot arrows in order to hunt. Here, that will just make a lot of noise and scare them away. We wait in trees or hidden in outcropping of rocks and become the environment. And there's a trick to watching an animal without letting it know you're watching.

Prey animals are sensitive to being observed, but there's a way to unfocus without losing focus, if that makes sense. It's hard to explain, but you can use it on people for practice, trying to make them feel you watch, then watching without letting them feel you. My grandfather taught me, and when he grew up you didn't eat any meat if you couldn't hunt it; and anyone, man or woman, who wasted a shot wasn't very useful in feeding the family. So you had to know how to conserve all your energies, and the boar spear was vital to survival for a lot of poor hillfolk.

But, I understand that the open field of battle is very different from the hunt for instinct-driven animals. In one, you're open about your intentions; in the other, you have to keep the animal from knowing you're there. And a panicked animal tastes like adrenaline, which is what makes some people dislike venison. They think it all tastes "gamey," but that's because the hunter scared the animal or didn't kill it quick, before it knew what was happening. It's hard to kill a boar without having the strong adrenaline taste throughout the meat, though. They're generally upset a lot.

We have a lot in common! I grew up spending summers on grandpa's farm in Kansas around Atchison. There was always work to be done on the farm but we found time to hunt and fish regularly. (Anything new on the table was a treat) My cousins in that area are like ghosts in those woods. Maybe someday I'll talk about the rattlesnake roundup that went so wrong for me. (in a funny way if you're not meCool)
hillbilleter   06-01-2010, 04:27 PM
DaveStrorm Wrote:I have nothing to add to the spear conversation Big Grin but I thought I'd welcome a fellow bluegrass state poster. What part of the state are you from?

Southeastern KY, in Pike County. I lived in southwestern VA for about 25 years, then my husband and I moved back to my homeplace after my grandmother died. My grandparents raised me and my grandfather took me with him on fishing trips and trips into the woods. He tried to teach me all he knew about woodcraft and herbal medicine (in case the Russians invaded and we had to live off the land). I just wish I could remember more of it. I remember thinking at the time that the most useful thing I had learned was to dust sulfur powder all over me before heading to the woods - chiggers and other insects hate it and, should you get a scratch or scrape, sulfur is an antiseptic. Smells, but is very effective. LOL

Nice to hear from another Kentuckian.
hillbilleter   06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
KRW Wrote:We have a lot in common! I grew up spending summers on grandpa's farm in Kansas around Atchison. There was always work to be done on the farm but we found time to hunt and fish regularly. (Anything new on the table was a treat) My cousins in that area are like ghosts in those woods. Maybe someday I'll talk about the rattlesnake roundup that went so wrong for me. (in a funny way if you're not meCool)

I'd love to hear the rattlesnake story. My grandfather's people were herb doctors and granny women and they had a bona fide snakebite cure you might have been interested to know during that roundup. I've seen it work a miracle overnight LOL

One thing about living on a farm - you learn a lot that you don't know you're learning until you sit down at the dinner table and realize that you're the reason some of that food is there for the whole family to eat. City kids don't get to feel that kind of pride.

We were all taught gun safety and to shoot the bullseye of a target by the time we entered school. We couldn't afford to waste bullets and always retrieved our brass and lead to reuse. We had a great respect for firearms as tools that can feed us and keep us safe. Everybody had to know how to hunt food, and to kill the foxes that raided the henhouse and the snakes that still like to sun themselves on the walkway. I'm sure part of your own childhood included taking part in periodic nightwatches for foxes. Or maybe coyotes in Kansas?
DaveStrorm   06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
hillbilleter Wrote:Southeastern KY, in Pike County. I lived in southwestern VA for about 25 years, then my husband and I moved back to my homeplace after my grandmother died. My grandparents raised me and my grandfather took me with him on fishing trips and trips into the woods. He tried to teach me all he knew about woodcraft and herbal medicine (in case the Russians invaded and we had to live off the land). I just wish I could remember more of it. I remember thinking at the time that the most useful thing I had learned was to dust sulfur powder all over me before heading to the woods - chiggers and other insects hate it and, should you get a scratch or scrape, sulfur is an antiseptic. Smells, but is very effective. LOL

Nice to hear from another Kentuckian.

I grew up there. And I lived in sw Va for a year. Confusedmilewinkgrin: Then I moved to Lexington when I went to college and I've been here ever since.
hillbilleter   06-03-2010, 07:34 PM
DaveStrorm Wrote:I grew up there. And I lived in sw Va for a year. Confusedmilewinkgrin: Then I moved to Lexington when I went to college and I've been here ever since.

It's a common theme here in the mountains. People move away for a broader selection of jobs. I have two sisters and a brother scattered in central KY.
Pages (15):    1 9 10 11 12 13 15