Pages (3):    1 2 3
Scott Miller   02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I hope you're right; I'm in the same boat.

Yay! My boat docked today along with Ice Men by Steven Spruill.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Yay! My boat docked today along with Ice Men by Steven Spruill.
My Gauntlet copy of Secret Circles arrove today, I'll start reading it as soon as I finish rereading THE KEEP.

Scott . . . you're going to love ICE MEN.

Ken V.
Scott Miller   02-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:My Gauntlet copy of Secret Circles arrove today, I'll start reading it as soon as I finish rereading THE KEEP.

Scott . . . you're going to love ICE MEN.

Ken V.

I should be starting it this weekend because Secret Circles won't take long.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Patrice   02-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Patrice Wrote:After your post yesterday on facebook, i´ve checked amazon today an ordered it.. will let you know when it arrives...

The package arrived today....
YES YES YES - Thats a bingo Big Grin
webby   02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Yay! My boat docked today along with Ice Men by Steven Spruill.

Yay! Mine arrove today! Pretty soon I'm going to make some popcorn and get snuggled on the couch with at least one of the kitties and probably stay up much too late tonight reading. Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   02-06-2010, 12:36 AM
jerrund Wrote:The problem is, Amazon went nuclear in their response. An in-kind response to a dispute over e-book prices is to not sell the e-books until the pricing stucture can be agreed to. To delist ALL of Macmillan/Tor books in all forms was Amazon trying to be a schoolyard bully, plain and simple.

Pricing is not the issue here. Charlie Stross has a great expalantion of what he sees as the issues here - http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/01/amazon-macmillan-an-outsiders.html

Also, John Scalzi's Blog http://whatever.scalzi.com/ is dripping with commentary

Very interesting - thanks for the links.

It's true, Amazon's action seems childish and it unfairly turned the authors into pawns in the dispute with MacMillan. I don't defend that, not at all.

But I do still stand by what I said before - Amazon should be able to sell books in any format at any price they choose. Once the publisher has sold the product to the retailer, it is no longer their property and they have no business forcing the retailer to sell the product for a certain price.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mad4tunes   02-06-2010, 03:06 AM
webby Wrote:Very interesting - thanks for the links.

It's true, Amazon's action seems childish and it unfairly turned the authors into pawns in the dispute with MacMillan. I don't defend that, not at all.

But I do still stand by what I said before - Amazon should be able to sell books in any format at any price they choose. Once the publisher has sold the product to the retailer, it is no longer their property and they have no business forcing the retailer to sell the product for a certain price.

It's a time-honored methodology, Webby.

When I was a music buyer for a major retail electronics chain (I won't mention names, but they use a big yellow sticker with blue letters), one of the record labels decided that since we wouldn't follow their heavy-handed suggestion regarding pricing, they would quit sending us promotional copies of their CDs/DVDs/tapes.

So, we quit featuring their artists in the in-store play lists, and only ordered a bare minimum of their CDs from them.

We did, however, purchase them from an alternative distributor (i.e. Navarre would gladly sell us product from the major label, for just a few pennies more than the major label charged us).

I do agree with you whole-heartedly, though...what a company does with product that they have purchased is not the seller's business. If McMillan cares what is charged for the books, let them open their own darned book store.

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."
Pages (3):    1 2 3