Pages (2): 1 2   
FreeBeerTomorrow   09-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm guessing I should direct this one toward FPW himself as he would be the one who holds the leash on the rights (I think).
With all of the remakes being done these days (hell, sometimes the movies being remade aren't even a decade old), I was wondering if the idea of doing a complete "do-over" with "The Keep" had ever come up. I have completely purged the Michael Mann Mess from my brain but every time I go back and read The Keep, I can't help but think how great it would be if someone like Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile) or the guy who directed "The Prisoner of Azkaban" got their hands on this classic tale.
There is probably another thread kicking around that adresses this issue and if there is, I apologize.
This post was last modified: 10-02-2009, 11:11 AM by FreeBeerTomorrow.

[Image: darktowergunslinger1-1.jpg]
"Control what you can control. Let everything else take a flying f**k at you... And if you must go down...go down with your guns blazing..."
fpw   09-23-2009, 02:11 PM
FreeBeerTomorrow Wrote:I'm guessing I should direct this one toward FPW himself as he would be the one who holds the leash on the rights (I think).
With all of the remakes being done these days (hell, sometimes the movies being remade aren't even a decade old), I was wondering if the idea of doing a complete "do-over" with "The Keep" had ever come up. I have completely purged the Michael Mann Mess from my brain but every time I go back and read The Keep, I can't help but think how great it would be if someone like Frank Darabont (Shawshamk Redemption, Green Mile) or the guy who directed "The Prisoner of Azkaban" got their hands on this classic tale.
There is probably another thread kicking around that adresses this issue and if there is, I apologize.
The rights, apparently, are extremely tangled, with Mann involved, and nobody wants to deal with Mann's ego.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
FreeBeerTomorrow   09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I didn't realize that he was still a part of the puzzle. That's really too bad as there is, as you well know, so much potential there for a classic movie. The term "epic" comes to mind...;-)

[Image: darktowergunslinger1-1.jpg]
"Control what you can control. Let everything else take a flying f**k at you... And if you must go down...go down with your guns blazing..."
suctionmule   09-23-2009, 05:01 PM
...glad to see this post; it deserves its own niche.

"The Keep" is in my mind one of the best horror novels I've had the pleasure to read.

As for the movie...well, it's decent, but deviates far too much from the novel. Yes, it had action. Yes, it had some creepy scenes. Yes, there were some good actors in it. But there was far more atmosphere and creepiness left out than in. And deviation? Somehow, the confrontation at the end was like opening an empty jar of peanut butter: you could smell it but it did little to salve your hunger. Even FPW's delightful little bit about the Cthulhu Mythos (when "Molosar's" origin was being pondered) deserves mention.

I'd love seeing "The Keep" remade. If "done right", all the chickens can retire. No need to "do" 'em anymore.

Time for Mann to "man up" and let go.
Brian   09-23-2009, 05:52 PM
But would Mann let it go? I somehow don't think so. His adaptation of an excellent horror story, sucks. When I read The Keep, I remembered seeing the movie years ago. The book being a thousand times better than that poor excuse of a movie, hell in this instance, there should be a re-make. Anything would be an improvement upon Mann's murder of a great story.

There is no wise man without fault
fpw   09-23-2009, 10:42 PM
If you want to see my version of the film, read the graphic novel.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Brian   09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
fpw Wrote:If you want to see my version of the film, read the graphic novel.

I never thought of that, I'll try and find a copy.

There is no wise man without fault
Kenji   09-24-2009, 08:25 AM
fpw Wrote:The rights, apparently, are extremely tangled, with Mann involved, and nobody wants to deal with Mann's ego.

Mann's ego....hmm, that's big issue.

But still, I want to see the new THE KEEP movie by Guillermo Del Toro if he could. Now I can't imagine new THE KEEP movie without him.
suctionmule   09-26-2009, 08:53 PM
...I'd like to see Del Toro get his hooks into Lovecraft's eerie "At the Mountains of Madness". Rumor has it that he's pondering that very issue. I hope he doesn't change his mind.

The movie "The Keep" wasn't what most of us had hoped, but I still find it a fun watch every so often. One thing Mann can't screw up is the novel. Hats off, FPW, for one hell of a read.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   09-27-2009, 08:55 PM
suctionmule Wrote:...I'd like to see Del Toro get his hooks into Lovecraft's eerie "At the Mountains of Madness". Rumor has it that he's pondering that very issue. I hope he doesn't change his mind.

The movie "The Keep" wasn't what most of us had hoped, but I still find it a fun watch every so often. One thing Mann can't screw up is the novel. Hats off, FPW, for one hell of a read.

Paul rules. Michael Mann...not so much.
This post was last modified: 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Pages (2): 1 2