Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Al Meyer   09-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I have nothing against guns. Cheers
creasy   09-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Yeratel Wrote:At all of the local gun shows I've been to, I've only ever seen one Semmerling for sale, and they wanted about $4,500 as the asking price. I hadn't read any RJ stories at that time, so I wasn't aware of the tie in.
It's a neat looking gun, very compact, but it cycles manually, so even if I'd had the money, I'd have preferred a compact semi-auto.

One of the reasons they are so hard to find:

[Image: IMG_0812.jpg]

I took this picture at the NRA Museum in NoVA last year. They have a pretty amazing collection of firearms but these in particular really caught my eye as I have wanted an LM4 ever since reading my first RJ novel.
Yeratel   09-27-2009, 02:02 PM
creasy Wrote:One of the reasons they are so hard to find:

I took this picture at the NRA Museum in NoVA last year. They have a pretty amazing collection of firearms but these in particular really caught my eye as I have wanted an LM4 ever since reading my first RJ novel.
That's a lot of variations on a basically simple design, like each one is a hand-made original. It looks like three of them have extended threaded barrels for use with a suppressor, which is also kind of unususal in a handgun originally designed for last-ditch self defense. With it's concealability and locked breech, it would be an ideal assassins weapon when fitted with an efficient sound suppressor.
JustFine   06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, hardly variations and hardly simple. I am the person that moved over 100 Semmerlings (LM1, LM2, LM3, LM4, XLM to the Smithsonian, the Cody and the NRA museum that you see above.

I assure you that each was a gem of the highest order, each hand built, each magnafluxed three times, most different. I have moved some of the rarest and finest examples to museums and, without a doubt, this collection was one of the most remarkable. It took a person with particular requirements to actually carry a Semmerling in real life, they were out there, still are out there and there is still a robust market for the very few Semmerlings that make it out all without exception, LM4s.

Would a person who understood the actually requirements of the LM4 ever be satisified with a 9mm of any make or model? No, its nonsense. But if one remembers that the typical LM4 carrier, or the hardly typical XLM carrier is not a fictional character, well...there you have it.

Here for your enjoyment, the rarest of of rare photos. A "jack" and the real Master "Q" and serial number one (1) of the LM1, LM2, LM3, LM4 and yes, the XLM.

[Image: QANDz-.jpg]
fpw   06-08-2010, 10:02 PM
ramblinman09 Wrote:Interested in the guns that Jack uses. In particular the 'Semmerling LM4' have found one for sale on-line and wondered if anyone (including Mr. Wilson) has used one and if so what do you think of it's performance?
ramblinman09
I saw one in Shotgun News in the early 80s once and tried to research it but couldn't learn much in those pre-WWW days. I thought it was semi-auto. Turned out I was wrong.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
fpw   06-08-2010, 10:05 PM
JustFine: Welcome and...wow.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Karithna   06-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Lot's of new people posting of late. That's good, though. Means books are being read. I saw an LM4 for sale about 3 years ago for $5000. It's pretty, but seems like it might be more of an investment than self defense. Especially if they're out of production.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Karithna Wrote:Lot's of new people posting of late. That's good, though. Means books are being read. I saw an LM4 for sale about 3 years ago for $5000. It's pretty, but seems like it might be more of an investment than self defense. Especially if they're out of production.

Can't really carry a gun in NYC without a lot off hassle. So I carry a blade or two.

I think your =attitude= about self-defense is more important than any particular piece of metal.

Threatened? Hit first and hit hard. Do NOT hesitate.

'Cause the bad guy thinks you will.
Brian   06-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Can't really carry a gun in NYC without a lot off hassle. So I carry a blade or two.

I think your =attitude= about self-defense is more important than any particular piece of metal.

Threatened? Hit first and hit hard. Do NOT hesitate.

'Cause the bad guy thinks you will.

Just don't be the chump, that brings a knife to a gun fight.

There is no wise man without fault
t4terrific   06-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Can't really carry a gun in NYC without a lot off hassle. So I carry a blade or two.

Yet you can't think of anything you should be able to do that you can't? Perhaps you are unfamiliar with liberty. That would explain your blindness.
Pages (3):    1 2 3