Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Maggers   09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Legion Wrote:HOLY CRAP! MAGGERS! You live! Great to hear you're doing well. Several of the Forums Old Heads such as yourself have been missing for quite some time. Good to see you!

BTW Which book was this you speak of?

Why, thanks, Legion! It's nice to be missed. :hello:

KRW Wrote:Harbingers.
Ahh, some things never change. We can always count on Ken to know the answer to just about any RJ question. :thumbsup:

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   09-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Maggers Wrote:Ahh, some things never change. We can always count on Ken to know the answer to just about any RJ question. :thumbsup:
Hell, I've forgotten more than most of these whippersnappers will ever know!Big Grin
Scott Miller   09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Maggers Wrote:Hey, Ken, thanks! I see so many new names here I figured no one would have noticed that I'd not been around. Thanks for missing me.

I've been having a great time with my life, and spending as much time as I could in Australia.

Hope to be back here a little more frequently.

Maggers it is lovely to read you again and wonderful that you and Liam have hit it off so well. So what's your favorite down-underism?

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   09-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:So what's your favorite down-underism?
Now THAT would be interesting.

They have so many fascinating slang terms.

I got a kick out of hearing the terms they created in regard to Kangaroo's. For example, a group of 'Roo's isn't a herd, or a gaggle, or a flock, a pod, or anything like that -- a "group" of Kangaroo's is called a Mob, and the dominant male is called The Old Man.

Down to earth, and very descriptive.

Ken V.
Maggers   09-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Now THAT would be interesting.

They have so many fascinating slang terms.

I got a kick out of hearing the terms they created in regard to Kangaroo's. For example, a group of 'Roo's isn't a herd, or a gaggle, or a flock, a pod, or anything like that -- a "group" of Kangaroo's is called a Mob, and the dominant male is called The Old Man.

Down to earth, and very descriptive.

Ken V.

"I mightn't have much in my pocket, but I wouldn't be dead for quids!!"

I found that phrase on a tombstone in little Blackheath, NSW. Sweet, eh wot?
Attached Files
.jpg
Dead for quids.jpg (Size: 79.85 KB Downloads: 154)

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
They had such interesting headstones in that quaint, small town cemetery in Blackheath, NSW.
Attached Files
.jpg
Ukulele.jpg (Size: 75.96 KB Downloads: 152)

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Here's another, typically Australian headstone. They say it as they see it, and damn respectability!
Attached Files
.jpg
Honest bloke.jpg (Size: 77.23 KB Downloads: 160)

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   09-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Maggers Wrote:"I mightn't have much in my pocket, but I wouldn't be dead for quids!!"

I found that phrase on a tombstone in little Blackheath, NSW. Sweet, eh wot?
In the movie Crocodile Dundee that was changed to, "I wouldn't be dead for dollars."

It is kind of pithy.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   09-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Maggers Wrote:They had such interesting headstones in that quaint, small town cemetery in Blackheath, NSW.
Eighty five years old . . . that ship took a long time going down.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   09-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Maggers Wrote:Here's another, typically Australian headstone. They say it as they see it, and damn respectability!
A beer and a smoke aside, there's nothing disrespectful about being called "an honest bloke."

(Come to think of it, there's nothing wrong with a beer and a smoke either.) Wink

Thanks for those Maggers.

Ken V.
Pages (3):    1 2 3