Pages (3):    1 2 3
Scott Miller   01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
sigokat Wrote:I saw this movie in the theater and I thought it was amazing. There was a couple that walked out in within the first 10-20 minutes. I think a lot of people (not saying you in particular, Scott) cannot grasp a movie if everything isn't laid out for them within the first 20 minutes and instead of giving it a chance they just give up on it.

I'm not always the most patient viewer, listener whatever...but I can usually recognize good material even if it is slower, at least IMO. However, I agree that many people struggle with anything that they can't figure out within the first few minutes.

I've even established guidelines for when to stop or continue:

Movies-I can usually tell within the first half hour whether I'll be watching the rest of it-comedies take less time. I tried to watch The Goods not long ago and it only took about 10 minutes to determine it sucked as far as I was concerned.

CDs-one listen through entirely and either I hear something that makes me want to listen again or I don't.

Books-I give them 100 pages to hook me. I can't believe how many people read books they don't enjoy.

Again, my own personal guidelines and they are subject to change at my whim.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Sigokat   01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Books-I give them 100 pages to hook me. I can't believe how many people read books they don't enjoy.

Again, my own personal guidelines and they are subject to change at my whim.

I hear you on this one. I tried reading The DiVinci Code and just couldn't make it. I stopped within the first 100 pages...I just wasn't interested. After telling some friends I didn't read it they responded with "Well you have to get past the first 100 pages before it gets interesting." I'm sorry, but with books, if its not grasping within the first 100 pages then I just can't continue. There are too many great books out there that grab you from the get-go that I won't waste my time on those that don't.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
sigokat Wrote:I hear you on this one. I tried reading The DiVinci Code and just couldn't make it. I stopped within the first 100 pages...I just wasn't interested. After telling some friends I didn't read it they responded with "Well you have to get past the first 100 pages before it gets interesting." I'm sorry, but with books, if its not grasping within the first 100 pages then I just can't continue. There are too many great books out there that grab you from the get-go that I won't waste my time on those that don't.

Amen. I've given up on trying to muscle through books where I'm thinking, "When is this gonna get good?" Life is just too short.
cobalt   01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
We watched District 9 again last night. The best thing about watching a movie like this is....the ability to stop the action and replay something to get a better look at what just went flying by before.

And no...I didn't cry again....but I'll admit to sniffling again.

EWMAN
Kenji   04-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Yesterday I saw District 9. I enjoyed it a lot!

District 9 had a wrenching, occasionally violent scenes, and it was heartbreaking story. Also it was socially conscious(immigrant and racism) sci-fi film. CGI effects were perfect and fit into all scenes.
Monquito   04-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I enjoyed District 9. Good CGI (and I hate CGI) and a refreshing change from the usual sci-fi setting

The lead character was rather annoying though
neotank   04-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I thought District 9 was good, but not great. Definately overrated IMO. Never call a movie 'the best sci fi movie of the last twenty years' (as one reviewer did), it just dooms it to seem average at best.
bobkane   04-22-2010, 10:50 AM
i thought it was a great film and was so cerative like with the design of the aliens and those guns were wicked (lightning gun reminded me of Quake).
webby   05-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I liked it a lot, mainly due to its originality. It certainly wasn't great and I wasn't sure I was going to keep watching after the first 20 minutes, but once Wilkes got into District 9 it settled into a groove and went all sorts of places I wouldn't have expected. I thought the acting was decent and the effects good. Overall I'd recommend it to fans of SF.

Kenji Wrote:Yesterday I saw District 9. I enjoyed it a lot!

District 9 had a wrenching, occasionally violent scenes, and it was heartbreaking story. Also it was socially conscious(immigrant and racism) sci-fi film. CGI effects were perfect and fit into all scenes.

I watched District 9 on Netflix last night. I agree with Scott and Kenji. It wasn't the greatest movie ever but I enjoyed it tremendously. I gave it four out of five stars.

It was a simple, straight-forward plot, one we've probably seen many times, but with enough original elements to make it feel like something brand new. It never felt pretentious or preachy or sappy even though it definitely could have been any one or more of those things.

If you like sci-fi and you haven't seen this yet, you're really missing out. District 9 is destined to be a sci-fi classic that will turn up on every "must-see" list from here on out.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pages (3):    1 2 3