Marc   03-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Just got back from it. Generally it was fun but not very scary. The scariest thing was probably the four or five babies that started commicating by wailing to each other across the theater.

The film started off strong but sort of fell flat towards the end. It's cliched modern horror (no actual surprises or anything) and is much less violent then the original. The majority of the violence (and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks gorefest when it comes to the Dead series) is bullets to the head. I would say there was only one real nasty death (re-death?) in the entire film.

And the ending? Please, someone explain to me how they knew what boat to go to! That was probably one of the dumbest things in the entire movie. Give then some clue as to what boat to get to... an alarm system or something!

I'd say check out the original. Much better. And, incidentally, original.
fpw   03-22-2004, 09:04 AM
I saw the DOTD remake yesterday and found it suspenseful and appropriately horrifying. The running zombies are far scarier -- and pushed up my adrenalin far higher -- than the lumbering guys in the Romero version. Plenty of blood here, but hardly any of the gratuitous flesh munching of the original, which I always found merely gross rather than scary.

Pace, Marc, but I think the remake stands on its own pretty well. Anyone looking for 100 minutes of tension and terror (with clever dollops of humor and sarcasm here and there) should give it a try.

FPW

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Marc   03-22-2004, 10:55 AM
I would say the thing that most likely ruined it for me was the kids screaming in the back. I still prefer the lumbering zombies but you're right in that these new fast ones do turn it up a notch.

Again, my biggest complaint was the entire boat thing. Was there something I missed in the film that would tell them which one it was? I'm being anal about this, I know, but it's always the little things that get under your skin and keep chewing at you.

Did you see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake? If so, what did you think? I liked that one a lot.
fpw   03-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Marc B. Wrote:my biggest complaint was the entire boat thing. Was there something I missed in the film that would tell them which one it was?

If so, I missed it too. I asked myself that question, but figured the footage of Tim showing them a photo of his boat might have wound up on the cutting room floor.

' Wrote:I'm being anal about this, I know

Self awareness is a good thing, Marc.

' Wrote:Did you see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake? If so, what did you think? I liked that one a lot.

No. I'll catch it on video so I can fast forward. I find human-on-human violence -- especially torture -- upsetting (which is why I doubt I'll see "Passions") but human / monster violence seems to register in my brain's fantasy zone and is kind of fun.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Tony H   03-23-2004, 12:34 PM
No. I'll catch it on video so I can fast forward. I find human-on-human violence -- especially torture -- upsetting (which is why I doubt I'll see "Passions") but human / monster violence seems to register in my brain's fantasy zone and is kind of fun.[/QUOTE]

That is one thing Texas has plenty of. I sat through the remake of TCM and found myself genuinely shocked at the violence. The violence and torture is in your face in the new version and the torture is prolonged! Watch it on tape, hit the pause button and walk it off. That will be easier to handle than to sit through the entire film in a theater where you are a slave to the running time. Unsettling. Very Unsettling.
Marc   03-23-2004, 01:44 PM
AsMoral Wrote:That is one thing Texas has plenty of. I sat through the remake of TCM and found myself genuinely shocked at the violence. The violence and torture is in your face in the new version and the torture is prolonged! Watch it on tape, hit the pause button and walk it off. That will be easier to handle than to sit through the entire film in a theater where you are a slave to the running time. Unsettling. Very Unsettling.

Really? I would say it has a lot more then the original but even so, for modern horror, it didn't seem excessive. I thought the violence within it was handled well.
jimbow8   03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
I just recently saw the original for the first time. I was very impressed and shocked by the brutality. *SPOILER ALERT* Especially the part where Leatherface put the girl up on the meathook. Wow! That is an image I will not shake for quite some time.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft