Pages (3): 1 2 3   
webby   04-18-2009, 01:53 PM
The UK's Times Online named their choices for Best Film Twists Ever.

"The most powerful tool in cinema is the perfect twist, those vertiginous seconds when the bottom falls out of your seat and you are no longer sure whether to trust your eyes."

The films mentioned are:

Great Expectations
The Empire Strikes Back
Rosemary's Baby
The Wicker Man
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Fight Club
Planet of the Apes
The Sixth Sense
The Crying Game
Rebecca
Blade Runner
The Shining
The Usual Suspects
The Prestige
The Others
Jacob's Ladder
Dead Man's Shoes
Sunset Boulevard
Vertigo
Psycho
Dr. Strangelove
Kiss Me Deadly

The article itself is FULL of spoilers, so click at your own risk here.

A couple of movies that weren't big box office but that I thought had really good twists are Arlington Road starring Jeff Bridges and Fallen starring Denzel Washington.

Anybody else have a nominee or two for best film twists ever?

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mick C.   04-18-2009, 08:12 PM
How could THE CONVERSATION not be on that list?

Or the classic short French film (later shown as a Twilight Zone episode) OCCURENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE? (based on the Ambrose Bierce short story).

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
fpw   04-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Les Diaboliques (sp?) had the twist that's been ripped off a zillion times since. And don't forget Memento.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
GeraldRice   04-19-2009, 12:53 AM
fpw Wrote:Les Diaboliques (sp?) had the twist that's been ripped off a zillion times since. And don't forget Memento.

Is that the movie with Sharon Stone and Chazz Palmienteri?

I think Shattered starring Tom Berenger deserves an honorable mention, but how about Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Ask an 11 year old kid if he saw the Judge Doom thing coming. And it gave me nightmares.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Kenji   04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Primal Fear

Identity

Basic

Angel Heart

The Believers

Brazil
fpw   04-19-2009, 10:01 AM
GeraldRice Wrote:Is that the movie with Sharon Stone and Chazz Palmienteri?
No. the 1955 French film with Simone Signoret. It's pretty awesome. You won't be surprised by the twist because it's been ripped off so many times, but you owe it to yourself to see the original.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
cobalt   04-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't forget that movie Kenji and Scott Miller brought to our attention....The Black Book. It had so many twists and turns.

EWMAN
Scott Miller   04-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Kenji Wrote:Primal Fear

Identity

Basic

Angel Heart

The Believers

Brazil

Excellent choices all, Kenji.

How 'bout Soylent Green, No Way Out, Unbreakable and two that everyone should see but few have: dot the i and Nine Queens.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
saynomore   04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Murder on the Orient Express
Chinatown
The Big Sleep (Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall version)

AC

P.S. Do Whodunit's count? "Cause, ya know, dey got dat build-in saprize, nowatImean?
colburn0004   04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Have to hugely agree on Memento one of my favorite movies. Saw had an amazing twist ending that had my jaw drop. I didn't see it coming at all. Also even though it leaked and had all the bad buzz and not many people liked it I thought the village had a nice twist that wouldn't have been seen coming if not leaked.

There is also another movie I saw a long while ago and was about a younger man who raped and killed a women and they catch the man who does it and most the movie revolves around the psychologist talking to the murderer and he comes to believe he in a way has multiple personalities and some other things wrong with him. and In the end the man is walking away and refers to the psychotic personality and it is revealed that there was none or something like that. I know this is very confusing but I'm trying to remember a movie from at least 10 years ago and can't remember much but it was surprising. Any ideas on title?

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
Pages (3): 1 2 3