Pages (2):    1 2
mad4tunes   06-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Robert A. Heinlein has not been well served by the movie industry. That's why I get worried when I hear a studio is talking about doing "Stranger In a Strange Land" or "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress".

"Moon" could make a GREAT movie, though.

Sadly, I don't think "Stranger" could...there's too much THINKING required, and I have little hope that the general American public CAN think when it comes to movies.

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."
Ken Valentine   06-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Medusa Wrote:But if you think Starship Troopers is bad you should see Starship Troopers 3. It was so bad but we had to buy it! I loved the corniness of the first one. Never saw the 2nd one.
Whan Starship Poopers 2 was released, a number of people on this board teased me about my HAVING to see it.

It was well known here how much I despised the first one.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Brian Wrote:They were meant to be corny, goofy, whatever. That's what makes them great to laugh at.
In the novel, Heinlein had created a fairly free society.

When Paul Verhoeven made the movie, it was said that he wanted to play a trick on the viewers of the movie: he turned Heinlein's free society into a NAZI-like totalitarian society. He tried to get the viewer to cheer for the NAZI's.

(Verhoeven grew up in NAZI occupied Holland.)

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   06-30-2009, 09:17 PM
mad4tunes Wrote:Robert A. Heinlein has not been well served by the movie industry. That's why I get worried when I hear a studio is talking about doing "Stranger In a Strange Land" or "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress".

"Moon" could make a GREAT movie, though.
I gather that Tim Minear was attempting to write the screen play for "Moon."

I think he would have done a good job of it. Minear was one of the writers of the FIREFLY series.

Quote:Sadly, I don't think "Stranger" could...there's too much THINKING required, and I have little hope that the general American public CAN think when it comes to movies.
It's more a case of too much of what happens in the story, happening inside people's minds. That's nearly impossible to translate to the screen.

Ken V.
Auskar   07-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Like all movies, Starship Troopers, was "just" a movie. As such, I liked it but I liked the book better. I liked the Forever War and Armor, too.
redheadmargo   07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Medusa Wrote:But if you think Starship Troopers is bad you should see Starship Troopers 3. It was so bad but we had to buy it! I loved the corniness of the first one. Never saw the 2nd one.
I MUST watch this movie once a year....I get out my crackers and enjoy!!!

Redheadmargo

"Freedoms just another word for nothin left to lose"

"Teen-agers scare the living s**t out of me"
Pages (2):    1 2