Pages (2): 1 2   
repairmanscully   04-03-2009, 02:37 AM
hi all,
been a huge fan of fpw books since i randomly decided to read a dusty version of the keep from my parents' attic some 10-15 years ago. i used to be involved in these forums before it became this cool new upgraded forum but have since gotten lost with other things.. been browsing all the topics for something to reply to but decided just to say hello this way Smile i remember emailing fpw when i was just a wee little lad with dreams of writing, asking if the life of jim stevens closely mirrored the writing life of the real author, and other various silly questions, and actually getting responses! sadly i've become a lowly engineer, but thats ok--i still took away a lifelong dedication to all of fpw's work as well as respect for an author who gave (and i see still gives) his fans the time of day.

anyway, glad to meet you all!

steve

p.s. i snagged the aol/aim screen name 'Repairman Jack' when max character length was increased from 10 to 16 (previously rprmnjck) and have been using it ever since, even though my friends are always very confused when they see it...good to share it with people who don't think i'm just crazy. Smile
cobalt   04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Welcome aboard Steve.

EWMAN
Wapitikev   04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Welcome back, Steve. You'll like it here...again.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Pacal   04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Welcome back Steve,
What are you reading lately?
The_Texan   04-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Just thought I'd give a Howdy to the group. I've been a fan of FPW's works since the 1980s. I can so vividly remember being completely absorbed in The Keep during one Christmas break back in high school. Since then I've gone on to read most RJ stories, all of the original Adversary series, and the LaNague Chronicles.

I could say a lot about Repairman Jack -- he rules! But most of you have said that pretty well already. I'm surprised there's not a little more discussion of the LaNague Chronicles -- 'twas an awesome series! Completely different genre than RJ, but I really liked the socio-political views that came across in the stories.

I'll chime in here and there on the forum. Just wanted to get my first post out of the way.

-The Texan
Wapitikev   04-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Welcome, Tex. You'll like it here.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
The_Texan   04-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks, Wapitikev. Yes I like it already and I'll be dropping by as often as I can squeeze some time in.

I bought Crisscross the other day; it's one that I somehow overlooked and had never read. I was just flipping through it today and noticed something called "Hokano" in there. Made me laugh because that happens to be "Other" or "Other one" in Japanese. Nice little touch there - the kind I've really come to appreciate from Paul.

That reminded me how well researched and well written "Black Wind" is. I can tell that Paul (is that what most people call him?) seems to like Japanese culture quite a lot. Does anyone know whether Paul has spent any time in Japan? I'm really curious.

-The Texan
cobalt   04-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Welcome Texan. You'll find alot of people that love Black Wind almost as much as RMJ here.

EWMAN
fpw   04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
The_Texan Wrote:Does anyone know whether Paul has spent any time in Japan? I'm really curious.
Never been to Japan, though I've always wanted to visit. Want to take an extended trip and do it right.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
The_Texan Wrote:Thanks, Wapitikev. Yes I like it already and I'll be dropping by as often as I can squeeze some time in.

I bought Crisscross the other day; it's one that I somehow overlooked and had never read. I was just flipping through it today and noticed something called "Hokano" in there. Made me laugh because that happens to be "Other" or "Other one" in Japanese. Nice little touch there - the kind I've really come to appreciate from Paul.

That reminded me how well researched and well written "Black Wind" is. I can tell that Paul (is that what most people call him?) seems to like Japanese culture quite a lot. Does anyone know whether Paul has spent any time in Japan? I'm really curious.

-The Texan

Hi, Texan! Welcome to the gang.

The Man sez, "If you're a patient, I'm Dr. Wilson. Everybody else, I'm Paul."
Pages (2): 1 2