icarusflu   03-12-2009, 02:10 AM
I was in a little book store that knows me well and the owner has an illustrated bookplate or (tip sheet - it was not numbered and had no space for numbering) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it

Icarus
fpw   03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
icarusflu Wrote:I was in a little book store that knows me well and the owner has an illustrated bookplate or (tip sheet - it was not numbered and had no space for numbering) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it

Icarus
When Robert weinberg was a bookseller he'd often print up bookplates for an upcoming title and send them to the author for signing. Then he'd place them in the book and sell it as having "a signed, laid-in bookplate." I did that for him with a lot of titles back in the 80s.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Sigokat   03-12-2009, 09:49 AM
what's a bookplate?

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
icarusflu   03-12-2009, 02:41 PM
A bookplate is a little piece of art (sometimes signed) made to glue into an existing book, sometime they are signed.

Some people also get ones that say "From the library of" for themselves marking the book as theirs

Icarus