fpw   03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
I mentioned in last month's newsletter that I’d written a short piece for the Writers Corner at the Cemetery Dance website. Well, it’s up now. (And as I said before, unlikely to interest non writers)

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/WritersAdvice

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Silverfish   03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice. Very informative. I'm going to forward this page with your link on it to my friend who's a writer. It'll give him something to think about.

Stephanie
This post was last modified: 03-08-2009, 12:29 PM by Silverfish.

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
linusvanpelt   03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Read your piece. I hope to get the chance to use your words of wisdom. I also hope my future copy editor doesnt kick me out on my butt with my demands or I'll be self publishing.

Linus
fpw   03-08-2009, 10:02 PM
linusvanpelt Wrote:Read your piece. I hope to get the chance to use your words of wisdom. I also hope my future copy editor doesnt kick me out on my butt with my demands or I'll be self publishing.
They're not demands, they're guides to how you want your prose to be. It also shows you've given thought to your style and that what appear to be errors are deliberate.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
webby   03-09-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not a novelist but I found the article interesting anyway. Sort of a peek "under the hood" in a sense.

(Note the lack of commas in this post and that I wanted to use at least three but I thought I'd give the fewer commas thing a try.)

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jerrund   03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Very interesting article. I would think that even if you never shared it with a copy editor, a sytle sheet could be useful in helping you sort out issues of style and help you as an individual become more internally consistant. Thanks for the link.
Auskar   03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Nice article. Read it. Now, if someone would only publish a story. I've sort of given up and am now turning one of my stories into a novel.
Pacal   03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Great advice; the writers that have influenced me definitely do not play by the typical rules, and I'm sure I am loaded with purposeful and unknown mistakes.