Pages (2): 1 2   
RJzo   02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Haha I'm sure everyone is screaming "Hell Yes!", but I'm not referring to the character - he couldn't be any more awesome.
I just mean that the name "Repairman Jack" sounds kinda dorky. When I first came upon these books this summer I was drawn to them by their cool covers. I read the back of one and honestly when I saw that the guys name was "Repairman Jack" I put it down. Fortunately I decided to research the books and after all the positive reviews I gave The Tomb a chance. I'm glad I did because this is my favorite series of all time. I'm only on Crisscross but am really enthralled (especially after finishing Gateways yesterday...WOW). But really I almost didn't give this series a chance. Do you think the hero's name greatly reduces the chance of RJ becoming mainstream? This would be especially importanat if a movie ever gets made (altough I'd much rather a show on HBO or Showtime ala True Blood/Dexter) I can't actually come up with anything better and now I don't think its all that bad...but from a newbies perspective it isn't really the best don't you think?
t4terrific   02-04-2009, 05:10 PM
"Repairman Jack" is plenty cool. Look how well "Joe The Plumber" caught on!
Silverfish   02-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi, welcome to the board, and just to point out: you used his initials in your screen name. Huh. Rolleyes

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
cobalt   02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
RMJ is as cool as one could be. Hang around here long enough and you'll be sure to agree.

Welcome aboard.

EWMAN
Wapitikev   02-05-2009, 12:59 AM
RJzo Wrote:Haha I'm sure everyone is screaming "Hell Yes!", but I'm not referring to the character - he couldn't be any more awesome.
I just mean that the name "Repairman Jack" sounds kinda dorky. When I first came upon these books this summer I was drawn to them by their cool covers. I read the back of one and honestly when I saw that the guys name was "Repairman Jack" I put it down. Fortunately I decided to research the books and after all the positive reviews I gave The Tomb a chance. I'm glad I did because this is my favorite series of all time. I'm only on Crisscross but am really enthralled (especially after finishing Gateways yesterday...WOW). But really I almost didn't give this series a chance. Do you think the hero's name greatly reduces the chance of RJ becoming mainstream? This would be especially importanat if a movie ever gets made (altough I'd much rather a show on HBO or Showtime ala True Blood/Dexter) I can't actually come up with anything better and now I don't think its all that bad...but from a newbies perspective it isn't really the best don't you think?
Welcome to the board RJzo. You'll like it here.

The name is innocuous...until you find out what the hell it means.

Then it is "the" coolest.

That's marketing at its BEST.

Just wait for the movie...and various celebrities start being seen with WWJD (WhatWouldJackDo) T-shirts...the mind boggles at the viral marketing possibilities.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
bones weep tedium   02-05-2009, 06:53 AM
RJzo Wrote:Haha I'm sure everyone is screaming "Hell Yes!", but I'm not referring to the character - he couldn't be any more awesome.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Like Wapppittikiexvv said, once you know what it means it makes perfect sense and is a really cool name. Even though loads of people would probably wonder 'Why would I want to watch a film about a repairman?' they would also judge the film by poster and know it was a horror/action movie.

Think about all the films who'se titles don't mean nothing about the film itself. There's quite a few.

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
bones weep tedium   02-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Wapitikev Wrote:Just wait for the movie...and various celebrities start being seen with WWJD (WhatWouldJackDo) T-shirts...the mind boggles at the viral marketing possibilities.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

-Wapitikev

I already wear mine every now and again, and it's amazing how many people stop and ask you what it means. WWJD is obviously very well known Christian thing, and I'm often asked by people who/what Jack is. Wink

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
fpw   02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Jack wouldn't disagree with RJzo. He's not crazy about the name either. Abe gave it to him and it stuck.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
RJzo   02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Silverfish Wrote:Hi, welcome to the board, and just to point out: you used his initials in your screen name. Huh. Rolleyes

Haha I said I'm cook with it now...just trying to say if you don't know what he's all about the name Repairman Jack doesn't give off the best impression. At least it didn't for me and for everyone I tell about him.
Oh and its pretty cool that FPW participates in the threads. You and your books are awesome! Don't know why Stephen King and Dean Koontz are better known...I really don't enjoy most of their works.
Jamo   02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the board RJzo Wink

In Germany RJ is called Handyman Jack.
But I really prefer Repairmanjack. The sense behind the name is so cool, I like that Wink

greets

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

Visit my private Portfolio on www.manufolio.de
Pages (2): 1 2