Pages (3):    1 2 3
swandy   02-12-2009, 12:48 PM
fpw Wrote:I'm resigned to the fact that Ground Zero will piss off certain people. It comes with the territory. I knew that going in and I'm ready for it. What annoys me is how some people feel they own that incident and no one can address it in fiction unless it conforms to their take. But nobody has dibs on it. It was a tragedy, yes, but it's also an historical event.

Paul - I agree with Bluesman - it's not a "tragedy" if it is caused by the intentional desire to hurt/kill people. The families of the people who died might feel a "tragic loss" but not the overall event - at least that is my way of looking at it.
But I fully agree with your right to use the "incident" in your works and have no problems with you doing so. But my feelings to what might be a reaction to the cover still stands. There were many here in NYC who felt the same about the two films ("World Trade Center" and the one about the plane that crashed in PA) that they were taking advantage of the attack just to make money. I think that distance (meaning time not miles) will allow people to put 9/11 into better prospective just like we now view movies and books about past events.
Perhaps I overeacted a bit when I saw the cover image (still like it artistically and photographically BTW).
Steve
t4terrific   02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
swandy Wrote:Paul - I agree with Bluesman - it's not a "tragedy" if it is caused by the intentional desire to hurt/kill people. The families of the people who died might feel a "tragic loss" but not the overall event - at least that is my way of looking at it.
But I fully agree with your right to use the "incident" in your works and have no problems with you doing so. But my feelings to what might be a reaction to the cover still stands. There were many here in NYC who felt the same about the two films ("World Trade Center" and the one about the plane that crashed in PA) that they were taking advantage of the attack just to make money. I think that distance (meaning time not miles) will allow people to put 9/11 into better prospective just like we now view movies and books about past events.
Perhaps I overeacted a bit when I saw the cover image (still like it artistically and photographically BTW).
Steve

I love it when fiction loops into, and out of, historical landmarks. I say "Let the reader beware.".

Wounds, that heal, develope a tougher tissue. The American needs to thicken that emotional and physical skin (toughen up). Our future may require it.
swandy   02-12-2009, 04:05 PM
t4terrific Wrote:Wounds, that heal, develope a tougher tissue. The American needs to thicken that emotional and physical skin (toughen up). Our future may require it.

Funny you being from Florida (which as far as I know is still part of America) refer - I guess to me - as "The American". I think New Yorkers are probably some of the toughest and most resilient people in this country and I agree with the part of "our future may require it" but, unfortunately, it is still a sensitive topic for people - around here especially.
Steve
fpw   02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Gotta disagree with you there, Paul. A lightning bolt killing a child is a tragedy. The Attack was an act of war against the United States of America, and, by extension, the West. It really is "Us or Them". Bush, for all his errors, understood that. I don't think Obama will until a dirty bomb goes off outside the Capitol.
So...an atrocity can't be tragic?

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
t4terrific   02-13-2009, 11:41 AM
swandy Wrote:Funny you being from Florida (which as far as I know is still part of America) refer - I guess to me - as "The American". I think New Yorkers are probably some of the toughest and most resilient people in this country and I agree with the part of "our future may require it" but, unfortunately, it is still a sensitive topic for people - around here especially.
Steve

"The American" is the average American. That includes you, me, and the rest of us. It is an individual, who is part of a large group. General Patton referred to "The American" often in his speeches.
t4terrific   02-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Gotta disagree with you there, Paul. A lightning bolt killing a child is a tragedy. The Attack was an act of war against the United States of America, and, by extension, the West. It really is "Us or Them". Bush, for all his errors, understood that. I don't think Obama will until a dirty bomb goes off outside the Capitol.

It doesn't matter what Obama understands. He will do what he's told. He is a messenger, a cheerleader, and a figure head. Remember that over the next 8 years.
Pacal   02-20-2009, 06:09 PM
fpw Wrote:So...an atrocity can't be tragic?

I'm pretty sure we're in the Horror/Thriller genre here. 9/11 was a horror. We all lived through 9/11 and have had loved ones serving in the aftermath. To tie in the events as an alternate history that precedes the events of the cataclysmic horror which is Nightworld could be pretty effective. I read Paul's work for the cringing and the adrenaline. I'm game for the upcoming story.
Pages (3):    1 2 3