Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Tony H   02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
i saw "Taken" over the weekend and I was blown away. There is not much to the story, in fact, the commerical is pretty much it.

A young woman gets kidnapped and her estranged father goes after her and the men who took her. He exacts vengence in one awesome scene after another.

The film takes the question "What would you do if your child was kidnapped" and answers it with a resounding "I would make them pay."

This film puts Liam Neeson in an entirely different role than we have seen him before. Concerned father, bad-ass action hero. The way he delivers his lines with the utmost calm is perhaps the mst disturbing aspect of his character. Shortly after the daughter is kidnapped (he hears it transpire over the phone), the kidnapper picks up the phone and Neeson hears him breathing. Calmly Neeson advises:

"If you want Ransom I have no money. But what I do have is a certain set of skills I have acquired over the years in my line of work. Skills that make it very dangerous for people like you. If you let my daughter go I will move on as if this never happened. If you harm her, I will hunt you...I will find you...and I will kill you."

There is a moment of silence when the voice on the other end replies. "Good luck."

In that moment neeson made his decision and it is the kidnappers who need luck.

Taken is a great action flick filled with great fighting, car chases and enough suspense to keep you riveted.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
BK Akitas   02-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm really looking forward to this film ever since we saw the trailers.
my guy was curled up on the couch with me, the wee one was playing nearby. that phone call part was on, he looked at her, he looked back at the screen, this look came over his face and he said "F*&^ing straight."

I'm kinda glad he's on our side.

thanks for the review

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
Fenian1916   02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I thought it was a very good movie and it was well paced. Liam Neeson was great and very believable in his role.

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
fpw   02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I love films where the bad guys pick the wrong victim -- either he/she is a badass or is the loved one of some badass. Mel Gibson's Payback (from a Donald Westlake novel) is a prime example.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
fpw Wrote:I love films where the bad guys pick the wrong victim -- either he/she is a badass or is the loved one of some badass. Mel Gibson's Payback (from a Donald Westlake novel) is a prime example.

DEEP AS THE MARROW would be a =great= film.
colburn0004   02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
This was definitely one of my favorite action films in a while. The action scenes were great especially liked the scenes on the boat and in the building with the red door.

I saw it a couple weeks ago and saw it again this weekend in the theaters and there was only one difference. The torture scene when he electrocutes the man for information doesn't show some things(him jamming the nails in his legs) that was in the version i saw and for that matter was shown in the trailer but wasn't in the movie. (are we now afraid of the idea itself of torture lol)

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
Tony H   02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
colburn0004 Wrote:This was definitely one of my favorite action films in a while. The action scenes were great especially liked the scenes on the boat and in the building with the red door.

I saw it a couple weeks ago and saw it again this weekend in the theaters and there was only one difference. The torture scene when he electrocutes the man for information doesn't show some things(him jamming the nails in his legs) that was in the version i saw and for that matter was shown in the trailer but wasn't in the movie. (are we now afraid of the idea itself of torture lol)

I saw the "nail-jamming" scene. It happens fast but it was in there...followed by the lengthy "electrocution torture".

I wonder if there are 2 prints out there.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
GeraldRice   02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
It was kind of like that for the first Mr. Bean movie. I don't remember what was different now, but we saw it in Canada and then again in the US a little bit later.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Wapitikev   02-03-2009, 03:10 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:It was kind of like that for the first Mr. Bean movie. I don't remember what was different now, but we saw it in Canada and then again in the US a little bit later.
Well...if the torture scene from the American version had been left in, I'd have definitely paid to see Mr. Bean here, in Canada.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
fpw   02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
fpw Wrote:I love films where the bad guys pick the wrong victim -- either he/she is a badass or is the loved one of some badass. Mel Gibson's Payback (from a Donald Westlake novel) is a prime example.
I forgot the ultimate "You-picked-on-the-wrong-guy" film: Rambo.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Pages (3): 1 2 3