Pages (9):    1 2 3 4 5 9   
fpw   01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Britfan Wrote:You do realise this will have even more fans clamoring for more first age stories
Uh-oh.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
fpw   01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Lysistrata Wrote:it reads like something out of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar.

My hat's off to you for recognizing that. Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser were a big influence on that story, right down to the size disparity between Glaeken and Cragjaw. You sound well read in the field...they're largely forgotten now.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Sigokat   01-17-2009, 04:50 PM
fpw Wrote:What he said.

I don't know why, but this response made me laughing my ass off!

I need to get the hell out of the place...and soon!!

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
t4terrific   01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
sigokat Wrote:I don't know why, but this response made me laughing my ass off!

I need to get the hell out of the place...and soon!!

Do you have plans for after you return?

I have an old high school buddy in the Marine Reserves. He just keeps volunteering to ship back to wherever Uncle Sam wants him. I guess he gets sick of working in a warehouse back home, for peanuts. He'll come home, hang out, then decide to sign up to go somewhere else?

I miss the old pal.
Sigokat   01-17-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm active duty, so I'll go where the Army decides to send me next.

I go on leave next month, then come back and have six more months to go. When I finally leave I'll have done 2 years on this tour and two previous Iraq tours for a total of 3 years and 7 months all combined. I really hate sand LOL

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Wapitikev   01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
fpw Wrote:My hat's off to you for recognizing that. Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser were a big influence on that story, right down to the size disparity between Glaeken and Cragjaw. You sound well read in the field...they're largely forgotten now.
Forgotten, but not gone...

Dark Horse (of comic fame) just republished all 7 books over the past 2 years, in paperback and, in March of 2009, Robin Wayne Bailey's Swords Against the Shadowland (book 8), a reprint of the 1998 White Wolf Publishing novel by the same name, authorized by Leiber's estate, will complete the series...thus far.

[I am also what one one might call well-read in the field Wink]

You cannot imagine how cool I thought it was that the Adversary Cycle started out in an age of swords and magic. I ache for the Glaeken prequel series.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Bacardi Jim   01-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Woohoo! It's on my Kindle now and I'll be reading it tonight.

Thanks, Doc!
Bacardi Jim   01-17-2009, 05:15 PM
fpw Wrote:My hat's off to you for recognizing that. Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser were a big influence on that story, right down to the size disparity between Glaeken and Cragjaw. You sound well read in the field...they're largely forgotten now.
I dunno if you read the Discworld books, but they were also the inspiration for the thief and warrior that Rincewind meets outside of town at the beginning of The Colour of Magic.
Legion   01-17-2009, 06:08 PM
fpw Wrote:Why the hell not?

Here's the first meeting between Glaeken and Rasalom:

http://repairmanjack.com/support files/Demonsong-set.rtf

Sir, you officially RULE!

[Image: hope.jpg]

Guns Don't Kill People, ATF Agents Do!
Biggles   01-17-2009, 09:45 PM
fpw Wrote:Why the hell not?

Here's the first meeting between Glaeken and Rasalom:

http://repairmanjack.com/support files/Demonsong-set.rtf

Dammit Paul! I paid a Brazillion bucks for that as the Dilithium plated first edition on eBay!

But no, that's OK, let everyone else have it. lol

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Pages (9):    1 2 3 4 5 9