Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Does Ledger deserve an Oscar for his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight?Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Definitely
20 (64.52%)
Not a chance
11 (35.48%)
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
PicardRex Wrote:Thats the interesting thing about Batman, one could argue that each of his major villans is just a facet or twisted reflection of Bruce himself.

Mike, (may I call you Mike or do you prefer Blues?), I do belive creativity deserves recognition, as you said the creator is putting their heart/soul out there for the world to see at least in some cases. As for the George C Scott quote, I think it applies rather well in todays day and age. I mean honestly, they cover what the celebs are wearing to the show more than the show itself. It may have started out well meaning, but like most things it has deteriorated.

Well, PicardRex, I guess ruin will have its way with us, in the end. Welcome to the board! You'll find lots of fun, good talk, and a little horseshit too.
And I'm "Mike" or "Blues". No big deal either way.
PicardRex   01-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the welcome Mike.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-23-2009, 05:29 PM
PicardRex Wrote:Thank you for the welcome Mike.

My pleasure, PicardRex. You'll find coolness here.
jacobm   01-23-2009, 06:31 PM
[Image: joker_13.jpg] however, Cesar Romero wasn't a very good one.

My problem with Heath Ledger portaryal is that he never smiled. I always pictured the Joker as:
[Image: joker22.jpg]even when things weren't going his way.

In the movie i just didn't get that sense that this Joker was having fun, which is what i grew up reading. The anarchy angle was fine, but I felt like he needed to yuk it up more. I guess i felt he was too serious. I'm worried the Riddler will need anti-depressants.
colburn0004   01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
jacobm Wrote:[Image: joker_13.jpg] however, Cesar Romero wasn't a very good one.

My problem with Heath Ledger portaryal is that he never smiled. I always pictured the Joker as:
[Image: joker22.jpg]even when things weren't going his way.

In the movie i just didn't get that sense that this Joker was having fun, which is what i grew up reading. The anarchy angle was fine, but I felt like he needed to yuk it up more. I guess i felt he was too serious. I'm worried the Riddler will need anti-depressants.

I too didn't really like how he didn't smile much but the scene with him and two face in the hospital I think was a key example that showed he was having fun with it. But I also thought the scars were more supposed to be his smile more of a deranged made smile.

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
law dawg   01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Marc Wrote:Had he lived he wouldn't have even been nominated, so no.
I think he would have been.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
law dawg   01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
webby Wrote:Heh. I voted yes for similar reasons.

All the awards don't mean much to me, so whatever. Heath Ledger did a very good job with the Joker character - good enough that most people rate his Joker over Nicholson's and that's saying something. So yeah, Ledger "deserves" an Oscar as much as anyone else who has won one.

I agree with you on the drug use thing for most cases too. I think certain prescription drugs do help some people with serious mental illnesses. But far too many people with no physiological need get drugs prescribed (or self-prescribed) which doesn't fix anything.
Ledger didn't take them to get the Joker out of his head. He was always an insomniac by all reports.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
njman21   02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
the only reason heath was even nominated in the first place is because he is dead if he wasn't dead there wouldn't even be any consideration for his portrayal of the joker in the dark night. don't get me wrong i like heath's work but there was no fear in me when i watched his performance. he was dull no real question what would happen. he was an ok joker. i think its a disgrace that he won this award, i think robert downey jr. was snubbed big time. Heath was a great guy but like i said he was given this award because the academy felt sorry for his family because he's no longer with us. if he was still hear he wouldn't even be in the conversation for this award. the movie itself wasn't all that great either. you could tell thats why it wasn't up for best motion picture it's no wonder slumdog millionare won. that was entertaining i'm sorry i just found the dark night dull and boring laking realism. how can heath win for best supporting actor if his films not even up for best motion picture it doens't make a bit of sense. the academy really messed up this time.
bones weep tedium   02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Whoever designed his make up and whoever wrote his lines deserve a pint and a dirty mag, but even they wouldn't deserve an Oscar. Rolleyes

He was the best thing in the film, indoooobitably. But the film was kinda average IMAO. :dontknow:

He only got an Oscar coz he died, not because he deserved it.

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
njman21 Wrote:the only reason heath was even nominated in the first place is because he is dead if he wasn't dead there wouldn't even be any consideration for his portrayal of the joker in the dark night. don't get me wrong i like heath's work but there was no fear in me when i watched his performance. he was dull no real question what would happen. he was an ok joker. i think its a disgrace that he won this award, i think robert downey jr. was snubbed big time. Heath was a great guy but like i said he was given this award because the academy felt sorry for his family because he's no longer with us. if he was still hear he wouldn't even be in the conversation for this award. the movie itself wasn't all that great either. you could tell thats why it wasn't up for best motion picture it's no wonder slumdog millionare won. that was entertaining i'm sorry i just found the dark night dull and boring laking realism. how can heath win for best supporting actor if his films not even up for best motion picture it doens't make a bit of sense. the academy really messed up this time.

"Realism", njman? We're talking Batman here! The guy is bugfuck nuts! He needs the Joker as much as the Joker needs him!
But I'm forgetting my manners--welcome to the board. Hang around, you'll meet lotsa cool friends.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5