lorezone   12-30-2008, 10:41 PM
so a lot of my friends and family are asking about the repairman jack/adversary series of books, and i dont think i could do them justice just by explaining them. problem is, i dont know which order to recommend reading them in. id like to preserve all the suspense that i experienced when i first read these series all those years ago, so i dont want to mess this up. any suggestions?

this is pure hell on earth.
fpw   12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
lorezone Wrote:so a lot of my friends and family are asking about the repairman jack/adversary series of books, and i dont think i could do them justice just by explaining them. problem is, i dont know which order to recommend reading them in. id like to preserve all the suspense that i experienced when i first read these series all those years ago, so i dont want to mess this up. any suggestions?

Okay...here's the order that blends the timelines of both series (which is actually a single series: The Secret History of the World):

The Keep
Reborn
Jack: Secret Histories
The Tomb
Legacies
Conspiracies
All The Rage
Hosts
The Haunted Air
Gateways
Crisscross
Infernal
Harbingers
Bloodline
By the Sword
The Touch

(Reprisal and Nightworld later)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
wdg3rd   12-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Well, if you first read them all these years ago, you might have missed the last few Jack novels. In the last couple of hardcovers, there is an "Appendix" that chronologically (by events, not publication) lists the AC and Jack novels. When in doubt, that might as well be the order in which to read them.

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
Wapitikev   12-31-2008, 12:21 AM
fpw Wrote:Okay...here's the order that blends the timelines of both series (which is actually a single series: The Secret History of the World):

The Keep
Reborn
The Tomb
Legacies
Conspiracies
All The Rage
Hosts
The Haunted Air
Gateways
Crisscross
Infernal
Harbingers
Bloodline
By the Sword
The Touch

...plus the short stories interspersed therein, on Paul's main site under his Secret History of the World title.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Brian   12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
fpw Wrote:Okay...here's the order that blends the timelines of both series (which is actually a single series: The Secret History of the World):

The Keep
Reborn
The Tomb
Legacies
Conspiracies
All The Rage
Hosts
The Haunted Air
Gateways
Crisscross
Infernal
Harbingers
Bloodline
By the Sword
The Touch

Alright! Thank-you! What better than the list in proper order from The Man himself. Big Grin

There is no wise man without fault
lorezone   12-31-2008, 12:51 AM
wdg3rd Wrote:Well, if you first read them all these years ago, you might have missed the last few Jack novels. In the last couple of hardcovers, there is an "Appendix" that chronologically (by events, not publication) lists the AC and Jack novels. When in doubt, that might as well be the order in which to read them.

rest assured, as a faithful fan, i've read all of the RJ books religiously. i just wanted to get the perfect order so as to preserve the thrill of reading them.

thanks for the help though!

this is pure hell on earth.
t4terrific   12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
lorezone Wrote:rest assured, as a faithful fan, i've read all of the RJ books religiously. i just wanted to get the perfect order so as to preserve the thrill of reading them.

thanks for the help though!

If you are interested in getting the friends and family hooked on FPW, I'd recommend The Tomb first. It will hook them on RJ (that's what got me into FPW in the first place.).

Once they read The Tomb, they will feel the need to continue with the RJ series. Next they will get into the rest of the AC and finally the rest of the FPW library.
Brian   12-31-2008, 09:23 PM
t4terrific Wrote:If you are interested in getting the friends and family hooked on FPW, I'd recommend The Tomb first. It will hook them on RJ (that's what got me into FPW in the first place.).

Once they read The Tomb, they will feel the need to continue with the RJ series. Next they will get into the rest of the AC and finally the rest of the FPW library.

That is precisely what happened when I read The Tomb. I'll start with The Keep this week end, now that I have a real plan for the series in order.

There is no wise man without fault