Pages (13): 1 2 3 4 5 13   
fpw   03-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Once again my Netflix cue is running low. Time for my irregular request for film suggestions. (Obviously they have to be available on DVD.)

FPW
fpw   03-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Oh, and BTW -- I saw the first Ultraviolet set. Very cool. Love the blonde ice princess and her lockjaw diction.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   03-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Boondock Saints
Near Dark
Black Sunday
The Prophecy
Dog Soldiers
The Thing from Another Planet
The Fisher King
Se7en
12 Monkeys
Donnie Darko
Payback
Running Scared
Snatch

I don't know how you let yours get so low. Mine currently has 115 movies in it. I have been pretty unimpressed with the movies I have rented lately: Bruce Almighty, The Core, Lost in La Mancha (which was actually pretty decent but so scratched it was unwatchable).

What is the Ultraviolet Set?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
jimbow8   03-19-2004, 05:15 PM
BTW, may I recommend http://www.guzzlefish.com to those who want a simple way to organize their DVD (also video games and CDs) online.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Annice Burdeos   03-19-2004, 05:32 PM
fpw Wrote:Once again my Netflix cue is running low. Time for my irregular request for film suggestions. (Obviously they have to be available on DVD.)

FPW

Perhaps Mystic River, Master and Commander ?
Escape from New York- Special edition ?
jimbow8   03-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Also, check out

Frailty

Ken Valentine   03-20-2004, 02:24 AM
fpw Wrote:Once again my Netflix cue is running low. Time for my irregular request for film suggestions. (Obviously they have to be available on DVD.)

FPW

For the fun of it, how about:

Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers (1936)
Flash Gordon's Trip To Mars (1938)
Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe (1940)

I'm still waiting for "Gran Prix" to come out in DVD. Sad

I just bought a copy of "A Town Like Alice."
This five hour video does more than justice to Neville Shute's novel, "The Legacy."

It's based on the true incident of a group of women and children captured by the Japanese in Malaysia in World War II. None of the Japanese knows what to do with them, so they are sent off to be someone else's responsibility. The women spend the entire war walking from one place to another.
It's a truly excellent, very touching, and heart warming story, starring Helen Morse, Bryan Brown, and Gordon Jackson.

Ken V.
This post was last modified: 03-20-2004, 02:28 AM by Ken Valentine.
Scott Miller   03-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Heeeeeeeyyyyyy eeeeeeverybody. Long time no post. I hope all is well. My few rare spare moments have been spent watching an occasional flick. The ones I recommend are:

American Splendor-Paul Giamatti ( I'll toss his name into the potential Jack ring) is brilliant has Harvey Pekar. Anyone have an issues of American Splendor?

Thirteen-a harrowing look at the potential hazards that await our children.

100 Mile Rule-an unusual psychological thriller.

Dirty Pretty Things-another unusual psychological thriller.

21 Grams-an wonderfully acted unusual psychological thriller.

House of Sand and Fog-a wonderfully acted unusual drama.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
nijimeijer   03-20-2004, 07:29 PM
fpw Wrote:Oh, and BTW -- I saw the first Ultraviolet set. Very cool. Love the blonde ice princess and her lockjaw diction.

Knew it would be up your alley. Glad I recommended it.

Ish
Marc   03-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Scott gave two good suggestions: American Splendor and Pretty Dirty Things. A few more suggestions:

About Schmidt
Spirited Away
Irriversible (may have mentioned this one before, but again a warning: this is a violent film and a lot of people walked out in the middle)
Returner
Heavenly Creatures
Mystic River
Dead Alive (if you like slap-stick zombie flicks)
This post was last modified: 03-21-2004, 01:34 PM by Marc.
Pages (13): 1 2 3 4 5 13