Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
Maggers   11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
OK, let me give a disclaimer up front. The new love of my life is an Aussie, so I'm partial to all things Australian now. That being said, I very much enjoyed "Australia," as did my nephews and their assorted girlfriends, all in their early 20's. Australia is a long, sprawling movie, shot in the distinctive Baz Luhrman style of overblown colors, enforced artificiality and sweeping overhead pans.

It is a big story with about 3 different endings before it really ends. The little boy narrates it and while I'm not a fan of narration in general, it worked for me here.

I could take or leave Nicole Kidman; I'm no fan of hers, but she didn't kill the movie. Of course, why wouldn't I love Hugh Jackman. What warm blooded woman wouldn't?

It was interesting to see how Baz can take a natural location and make it appear artificial, which is off putting but somehow he makes it work. There are about 7 different stories going in the film and it's all over the place, but if you want a modernist epic movie about the land down under, this is the one to see.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

johntfs   12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I'll have to go check that out sometime.
Noelie   12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I really want to see this movie, but more importantly, I wanted to say, "Hi Maggers!" Smile

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Maggers Wrote:OK, let me give a disclaimer up front. The new love of my life is an Aussie, so I'm partial to all things Australian now. That being said, I very much enjoyed "Australia," as did my nephews and their assorted girlfriends, all in their early 20's. Australia is a long, sprawling movie, shot in the distinctive Baz Luhrman style of overblown colors, enforced artificiality and sweeping overhead pans.

It is a big story with about 3 different endings before it really ends. The little boy narrates it and while I'm not a fan of narration in general, it worked for me here.

I could take or leave Nicole Kidman; I'm no fan of hers, but she didn't kill the movie. Of course, why wouldn't I love Hugh Jackman. What warm blooded woman wouldn't?

It was interesting to see how Baz can take a natural location and make it appear artificial, which is off putting but somehow he makes it work. There are about 7 different stories going in the film and it's all over the place, but if you want a modernist epic movie about the land down under, this is the one to see.

I've heard conflicting reports. My friends Dan and Lisa saw it. He told me it's a chick flick. Lisa said, "Don't listen to him, Michael."

Who should I believe?
LolaRennt   12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
The comment about the 3 different endings has me concerned. I've sat through movies that had natural ending points but kept dragging on and on until the dragging just ruined the movie.

Did you find yourself getting fidgety each time you thought the movie was ending but it kept going?
Maggers   12-02-2008, 03:04 AM
LolaRennt Wrote:The comment about the 3 different endings has me concerned. I've sat through movies that had natural ending points but kept dragging on and on until the dragging just ruined the movie.

Did you find yourself getting fidgety each time you thought the movie was ending but it kept going?

I understand completely, and oddly enough, no, neither I nor my nephews and assorted friends got fidgety. But this movie may not be everyone's cup of tea. It is an oddly campy epic drama with unexpected bit of comedy, and a villain who is over the top and relentless. It's Baz Luhrman. If you know his work, you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

I'm glad I saw it.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   12-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Noelie Wrote:I really want to see this movie, but more importantly, I wanted to say, "Hi Maggers!" Smile

Hello, my love! I think of you every time I'm watching DEXTER. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Noelie   12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Maggers Wrote:Hello, my love! I think of you every time I'm watching DEXTER. Big Grin
Tsk, tsk. The only person you should be thinking of while watching Dexter is Michael C. Hall. Wink

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Maggers   12-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Noelie Wrote:Tsk, tsk. The only person you should be thinking of while watching Dexter is Michael C. Hall. Wink

LOL, I do, I do!

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

law dawg   12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Maggers,

I'm hoping the wife has no desire to see this, but if she does, at least I've gotten your recommendation so maybe I'll not dread it as much. Smile

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4