Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Peter   12-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Maggers, you have a new and Australian love in yor life? But, I always thought that one day you and I would maybe, well, OK, never mind....

Well done girl! Dont think I'll bother with the film though.
Terry Willacker   12-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I saw the preview and thought it looked good. (My disclaimer: I love Nicole Kidman.) The reviews I read were very bad. Your recommendation tips the balance. I'll go see it.
Maggers   12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Peter Wrote:Maggers, you have a new and Australian love in yor life? But, I always thought that one day you and I would maybe, well, OK, never mind....

Well done girl! Dont think I'll bother with the film though.

Awww, shucks, Peter, that's so sweet of you to say.

Terry Willacker Wrote:I saw the preview and thought it looked good. (My disclaimer: I love Nicole Kidman.) The reviews I read were very bad. Your recommendation tips the balance. I'll go see it.
If you love Nicole Kidman, you'll like "Australia." It's an odd mix of camp and epic and only Baz Luhrman would even think of making such a film or pull it off, though I'm not entirely sure he did. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   02-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Today I saw "Australia!". I really enjoyed it. What a gorgeous movie! I liked very beautiful landscape and very very beautiful Nicole Kidman!

*I confess, I'm Nicole Kidman fan since I saw BMX Bandits.(Oh, I know. I was young)* Big Grin
Maggers   03-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Kenji Wrote:Today I saw "Australia!". I really enjoyed it. What a gorgeous movie! I liked very beautiful landscape and very very beautiful Nicole Kidman!

*I confess, I'm Nicole Kidman fan since I saw BMX Bandits.(Oh, I know. I was young)* Big Grin

Glad you liked "Australia," Kenji. I'll be there in a week and a half! Woo Hoo!

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

chickybubs   03-01-2009, 05:17 AM
After watching the previews Australia was not a film that appealed to me (despite the fact that usually i'll watch anything with Hugh Jackman in it just because Hugh Jackman's in it :p) but after getting it from my uncle to watch i actually really enjoyed it.

Yes the scenery did look so artificial but again the story made up for that. There are several storylines running throughout the film but not so many you lose track of whats going on.
ccosborne3   03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I liked the film. There was one scene I objected to. Jackman takes a shower and the camera practically humps his leg while he's doing it. I remember having the thought " What is the filmmaker expecting of me here?" It was weird.
fpw   03-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I didn't think I'd like this too much but I wound up fully engaged. The light fantasy element with the aborigines was a lagniappe. It's a gorgeous, old-fashioned epic like Hollywood used to make (think "How the West Was Won") with noble, brave Good Guys and boo-hiss Bad Guys. I also learned some history. What more can you ask of a film. At nearly 3 hours, it could be trimmed (I fast-forwarded through some of the cattle drives and such) but I don't feel it dragged.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Excellent movie!

And Maggers: I'd like to recommend three novels to you. They're all by the same author: Neville Schute, and deal with Australia.

A TOWN LIKE ALICE (referring to Alice Springs.)

IN THE WET

BEYOND THE BLACK STUMP

Ken V.
Maggers   04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Excellent movie!

And Maggers: I'd like to recommend three novels to you. They're all by the same author: Neville Schute, and deal with Australia.

A TOWN LIKE ALICE (referring to Alice Springs.)

IN THE WET

BEYOND THE BLACK STUMP

Ken V.

Thanks, Ken. I read A TOWN LIKE ALICE long ago, as well as ON THE BEACH. Perhaps it was those novels read as a young girl that inspired my love of Australia and a deep need to see it in person.

I'm just back from 3 deliriously happy weeks spent in the land down under. I loved it even more than I thought I would. If I could take my job and plop it in Sydney, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I was in the Blue Mountains, mostly, with day trips and a few overnight stays in Sydney. I left my heart in Australia. I will return to pick it up before long.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (4):    1 2 3 4