Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Piriel1   08-24-2004, 08:35 PM
Hiya....I'm new to the board but my sister (noelie) posts here quite a bit so i figured it was high time i let my voice be heard Smile

I even came armed with a question hehe...

Recently i picked up a book of short stories by Lovecraft that contained a story called "Pickman's Model". It's about a reclusive painter who had a knack for painting ghoulish and morbid creatures. Long story short it turned out he had a hole in his basement that lead to another world and he was painting things he saw there.

It dawned on me while i was reading that it was very close to what happens in Conspiracies and i was just wondering if this story was part of the inspiration or if it was just a coincidence.

piriel
Noelie   08-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Hi Pir Big Grin

Dang 10 characters messages. Let's try again. Hi Pir. Big Grin
fpw   08-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Piriel1 Wrote:It dawned on me while i was reading that it was very close to what happens in Conspiracies and i was just wondering if this story was part of the inspiration or if it was just a coincidence.

Welcome. We can only hope your posts are as intelligent as Noelie's. This is a good start.

I do deliberately reference Lovecraft and others (even Bugs Bunny) at times, but that was not my intention here. (Of course, Sibs was mighty beholdin' the HPL's "The Thing on the Doorstep," though I didn't realize it till years later.)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Hajek   08-24-2004, 11:58 PM
fpw Wrote:Welcome. We can only hope your posts are as intelligent as Noelie's. This is a good start.

I do deliberately reference Lovecraft and others (even Bugs Bunny) at times, but that was not my intention here. (Of course, Sibs was mighty beholdin' the HPL's "The Thing on the Doorstep," though I didn't realize it till years later.)

Paul,

Of Lovecraft's work, what do you recommend as a "must read"? I've read some, but not a lot of his stuff, though I have most of the Arkham House books.

And, as a follow up, besides Sibs what other stories of yours have a reference to HPL?

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Piriel1   08-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Paul,

Of Lovecraft's work, what do you recommend as a "must read"? I've read some, but not a lot of his stuff, though I have most of the Arkham House books.

And, as a follow up, besides Sibs what other stories of yours have a reference to HPL?

well i can't speak for FPW but for my money there are 3 Lovecraft stories that should be required reading for everyoneSmile

Pickman's Model (which i already mentioned above)

In the Vault (which actually gave me nightmares for 3 days after lol)

The Music of Erich Zann (kind of esoteric but still a good read)

if you're really interested in some of Lovecrafts better works i would recommend "The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre" published by Del Rey or "The Collected Works of H. P. Lovecraft" published by Penguin Classics. Both have a sizeable collection of stories in themSmile

piriel
fpw   08-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Of Lovecraft's work, what do you recommend as a "must read"?

"The Thing on the Doorstep"
"The Outsider"
"The Rats in the Walls"
"The Call of Cthulhu"
"The Dunwich Horror"
"The Colour Out of Space"
"Pickman's Model"
"The Haunter of the Dark"
"The Shuttered Room"
"Cool Air."

I've never liked his Randolf Carter stories and I find his "novel," At the Mountains of Madness, tedious.

Scott Hajek Wrote:And, as a follow up, besides Sibs what other stories of yours have a reference to HPL?

The Sibs / "Doorstep" connection is the most intimate in that I (unconsciously) borrowed plot points from HPL.

"The Barrens" is an HPL pastiche. The forbidden books found in The Keep are borrowed from HLP and his circle. Gateways probably echoes back to "The Colour Out of Space."

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   08-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Piriel1 Wrote:Hiya....I'm new to the board but my sister (noelie) posts here quite a bit so i figured it was high time i let my voice be heard Smile

Recently i picked up a book of short stories by Lovecraft that contained a story called "Pickman's Model". It's about a reclusive painter who had a knack for painting ghoulish and morbid creatures. Long story short it turned out he had a hole in his basement that lead to another world and he was painting things he saw there.

It dawned on me while i was reading that it was very close to what happens in Conspiracies and i was just wondering if this story was part of the inspiration or if it was just a coincidence.

piriel

Welcome to board, Piriel1.

Hey, I didn't know that you are Noelie's brother. I guess friendly brother and sister. What a envy! Wink
Dalt   08-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Piriel1 Wrote:Hiya....I'm new to the board but my sister (noelie) posts here quite a bit so i figured it was high time i let my voice be heard Smile

piriel

Welcome onboard P, I'm new myself but have been invited in with open arms and am already on my way to 'senior status' (by fair means or foul Wink ).
Dalt
Lisa   08-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Welcome, Piriel. Play nice or we'll ostrich-size you just like we do to Marc.

Lisa
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Piriel1 Wrote:well i can't speak for FPW but for my money there are 3 Lovecraft stories that should be required reading for everyoneSmile

Pickman's Model (which i already mentioned above)

In the Vault (which actually gave me nightmares for 3 days after lol)

The Music of Erich Zann (kind of esoteric but still a good read)

if you're really interested in some of Lovecrafts better works i would recommend "The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre" published by Del Rey or "The Collected Works of H. P. Lovecraft" published by Penguin Classics. Both have a sizeable collection of stories in themSmile

piriel

Howdy, piriel! Please feel very welcome among our gang. We might fuss and fight a little, but it's all in good fun, and you won't find better talk anywhere. I'd add one story to Paul's list: THE TERRIBLE OLD MAN. Short, sweet:eek: , and with a =great= last line.
Pages (3): 1 2 3