berrymastiff   10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Bravo! The only beer I really like. Funny thing, I go to Brussels 2x yearly to work out of the american embassy, and had Hoegaarden a few times over there and didn't think anything much of it...but.... my on/off girlfriend here for some reason drank Hoegaarden with lemon, and damn its fantastic. The trick is to cut the lemon as slices and put the lemon in the glass, on the bottom, first and pour the beer on the lemon. Wow...

I was in Brussels last month and told a bartender there that and he never heard of having it that way. Looked at me like I was crazy.

Hats off to FPW for using it in By The Sword...
fpw   10-14-2008, 09:23 AM
[SIZE="3"]Since you've been to Brussels...isn't it pronounced "Hoo-garden?"[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Fenian1916   10-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Indeed it is Sir.

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
law dawg   10-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Good beer. My buddy Wim from Brussels turned me onto it.

Although those Trappist monk beers kick the holy hell out of it. Those gents can brew a beer.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
berrymastiff   10-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Yup...its pronounced who-garden.

And the trappist monks.... Chimay. YUCK! To me, its like drinking dirty water mixed with grass clippings.

Juniper (the belgian pabst blue ribbon) is ok... as is Stella. But that pale compared to Hoegaarden.
John Is Ghost   10-16-2008, 09:42 AM
great beer, i was looking for there octoberfest
Biggles   10-16-2008, 02:24 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Since you've been to Brussels...isn't it pronounced "Hoo-garden?"[/SIZE]

That explains why I was slapped when I asked the bartender to "give me a Hoe".

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"