Pages (2): 1 2   
Marc   09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Did anyone watch Abram's new series "Fringe" last night? I thought it was pretty good. Sort of a "Lost" meets "X-Files".
Don B   09-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Marc Wrote:Did anyone watch Abram's new series "Fringe" last night? I thought it was pretty good. Sort of a "Lost" meets "X-Files".

I watched Fringe last night and liked it. I did have some problems with the storytelling style but figure that might be the result of this being a pilot. Pilots are often problematic, being shot on a small budget and having a lot of ground to cover (meeting the characters, setting up the world of the show, and moving the plot from zero to the point where episodes can begin). I liked the main characters and the basic setup but I hope Fringe turns out to more X-Files than Lost, with stand alone and character episodes mixed in with the mythology episodes furthering a season(s) long story arc.
fpw   09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
[SIZE="3"]My take: Very X-Files-ish and kind of slow. Lots of sloppy plotting and lapses of logic. Had a kind of slap-dash, thrown-together feel. I'll give it 1 or 2 more shots (out of deference to Lost's creator), but if this is typical quality, I'm outta there.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Marc   09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Don... from what I've read the episodes will be stand alone but tie into an overall story arch which we definitely were introduced to in the pilot. I agree with you and Paul that were problems but am willing to give it a chance because, as you said, pilots often are a little off from what they become.
GeraldRice   09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
I only saw about 15 mins because my wife was watching "Baby Mama", but I'm going to keep my nose open for a rebroadcast.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Scott Miller   09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:I only saw about 15 mins because my wife was watching "Baby Mama", but I'm going to keep my nose open for a rebroadcast.

A TV bloodhound.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Alvin Fox   09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
You know what would be awesome? If Lance Reddick's character is the same one as in Lost. Just giving a false name to hide the fact that he's with the FBI. But, yeah, it was a bit slow. Little over an hour in I start looking at the time and thinking, 'How much longer?'
beowulf   09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I really enjoyed it. The story was quite compelling although Josh Jackson's acting was a little cheesey - he was still Pacey.

As far as being a cheap pilot, I heard on the radio that this pilot cost nearly $10 million to make.

Kudos to Mr. Abrams!

"Fate has me highly skilled and loaded with talent."
Scott Hajek   09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
fpw Wrote:My take: Very X-Files-ish and kind of slow. Lots of sloppy plotting and lapses of logic. Had a kind of slap-dash, thrown-together feel. I'll give it 1 or 2 more shots (out of deference to Lost's creator), but if this is typical quality, I'm outta there.

I agree completely. I haven't finished watching the pilot, though. I fell asleep twice. I'll finish it tonight, but it seems as if it's trying too hard to be different, but it's almost too much like X-Files.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Gard   09-11-2008, 06:39 PM
I tried to keep my mind on it, but after a series of sometimes ponderous cliches and some science that just couldn't pass muster, I found myself turning to another TV, where my niece was watching "Wipeout". Gotta say, once I realized I could watch the rest of "Fringe" online, I dropped it, and enjoyed the laughs of the latter program. It's mindless entertainment, but it was more of a draw for me than "Fringe".

I'll stick with "Torchwood" and, I've been told, I should watch "Supernatural". Might give this one another shot, but with limited time... gotta choose TV viewing carefully nowadays!
Pages (2): 1 2