Libby   09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I just re-read Legacies. I really wish Jack were real. Every time I read a book with him in it...WOW. Just wow.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
mad4tunes   09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Libby Wrote:I just re-read Legacies. I really wish Jack were real. Every time I read a book with him in it...WOW. Just wow.

Libby,

Jack might not be a real person, but...

We can all be like him, if we choose...maybe we can't drop out of the grid, but we can live by the same principles that he does.

And the world would be a much better place if we did.

You remind me of one of my niece's friends, Bridgette...she's a senior in high school, and just got offered a four year full ride scholarship to M.I.T.

I'm so jealous! She and I get into some pretty heavy discussions about potential starship drives and the implications surrounding them, causing everyone else's eyes to glaze over.

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."
Libby   09-07-2008, 11:50 AM
mad4tunes Wrote:Libby,

Jack might not be a real person, but...

We can all be like him, if we choose...maybe we can't drop out of the grid, but we can live by the same principles that he does.

And the world would be a much better place if we did.

You remind me of one of my niece's friends, Bridgette...she's a senior in high school, and just got offered a four year full ride scholarship to M.I.T.

I'm so jealous! She and I get into some pretty heavy discussions about potential starship drives and the implications surrounding them, causing everyone else's eyes to glaze over.

That is SO COOL!!!:eek: She is very lucky. And I don't have a SSN yet, maybe I COULD drop off the grid....:confused: But I couldn't be as awesome as Jack, ever.Sad

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Alvin Fox   09-07-2008, 01:50 PM
At least the same thing didn't happen to you that did to me. I've had my SSN since I was 4. My brother is 10 years older than me. When he got his first job and needed a SSN my mom took him to get it. She also picked up mine at the same time because, hey, why not?
Libby   09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
AlvinFox Wrote:At least the same thing didn't happen to you that did to me. I've had my SSN since I was 4. My brother is 10 years older than me. When he got his first job and needed a SSN my mom took him to get it. She also picked up mine at the same time because, hey, why not?
I just talked to my mom, and it turns out I DO have a social security number. She got it when I was born, to save me trouble.Rolleyes

Aprilis   09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Libby Wrote:That is SO COOL!!!:eek: She is very lucky. And I don't have a SSN yet, maybe I COULD drop off the grid....:confused: But I couldn't be as awesome as Jack, ever.Sad

How does your mom claim you on her taxes then? I had to get my son a SSN right after he was born or I couldnt claim him on my taxes ... and it will be a sad day when he turns 18 and I cant file head of household anymore Sad
I might just quit paying taxes ... I know so many people who have.

(yeah, I didnt read all the posts before i posted Smile
law dawg   09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Libby Wrote:I just re-read Legacies. I really wish Jack were real. Every time I read a book with him in it...WOW. Just wow.

Who says he's not? Just maybe not exactly as portrayed by Mssr. FPW....

Smile

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
law dawg   09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
It's a little telling that the majority of the discussion revolves around envying RJ not paying taxes than helping people.

:confused:

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
mad4tunes   09-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I have no objection to paying taxes...I'd just like a little more say in how they're spent.

I still think that Spider Robinson (I think it was Spider...but it might have been Joe Haldeman) had the right idea...when you file your income taxes, you fill in a blank saying where you want half of your tax dollars allocated.

And, while I admire Jack, I wouldn't trade him places. I don't think I could live "off the grid".

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."