Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7
Kenji   04-05-2008, 05:43 AM
That's me! Big Grin

And today I went to see Cloverfield in a theatre. Japanese title is "HAKAISHA".
Well, it was. It was "Hakaisha"(Demolish).

So many people on this board says "wait DVD" or "Ignore". But I...I confess.

I enjoyed this movie! Big Grin I just a little bit of my eyes tired, but I had no problem with the shaky camera while seeing this movie. I like big screen in a theatre, and I like giant monster movies. But I was glad to see nobody said "Omygod! It's Godzilla!!!" in this movie, like LOST WORLD. Clearly it was NOT Godzilla. So...what was that? I still don't know. But that's no problem.

I think the plot is "How do they act when they got attacked from something?"

Some people ran to the bridge. Some people evacuated to subway. Some people stole stuff from stores. Some people got back to city for wounded girl friend.

I asked to myself. "If that monster landed to Japan, what will I do?". At least, I won't go to the bridge.
RichE   04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I thought the DVD was fine. In fact, watching it on the tube with the sound cranked up was like watching a news broadcast. Good release!
Bruj   04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
ill be honest, I loved it. its not ABOUT the monster, its not about WHY its there, or what its purpose is. the idea of the movie, was to have the characters trying to escape alive, and together. not to find out what it was. and to connect to those characters, they kept us (the audience) in the dark.

if you have to actually see a monster or a horror movie villian in all their glory (whathaveyou) then i feel sorry for you. Some of teh greatest horror movies are the classic black and white ones, where you just catch the smallest glimpses of what is there. more suspenseful and everything to me.
jimbow8   04-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Bruj Wrote:ill be honest, I loved it. its not ABOUT the monster, its not about WHY its there, or what its purpose is. the idea of the movie, was to have the characters trying to escape alive, and together. not to find out what it was. and to connect to those characters, they kept us (the audience) in the dark.

if you have to actually see a monster or a horror movie villian in all their glory (whathaveyou) then i feel sorry for you. Some of teh greatest horror movies are the classic black and white ones, where you just catch the smallest glimpses of what is there. more suspenseful and everything to me.
Right. And Cloverfield is more of a horror movie with a monster than it is a monster movie with some horror.

Aside: Which, come to think of it, is why Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween (and many other recent "horror movies") didn't work: it was a monster movie - focusing on Michael Meyers, the monster - instead of a horror movie - focusing on the victims and their fear.
This post was last modified: 04-26-2008, 05:35 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Barry Lee Dejasu   05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I finally saw it today. All I have to say is, Holy sh*t.

And that's not in the negative tone, either.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
cobalt   05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
We just finished watching Cloverfield. Good old Netflix! The monsters, both big and little were especially creepy when you freeze frame them for a good look. *shudder*

EWMAN
thisisatest   05-01-2008, 09:14 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:We just finished watching Cloverfield. Good old Netflix! The monsters, both big and little were especially creepy when you freeze frame them for a good look. *shudder*

Steve D

Hope you-all found the easter eggs on the Cloverfield DVD. I found seven so far, some great, some just a waste of time, but definitely worth searching for nonetheless. How many have you found? :confused:Not sure if this is a spoilers thing so beware who you rile. This is not a match.com thread, after all.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
KRW   05-25-2008, 12:41 AM
bones weep tedium Wrote:I found this through wikipedia. The splash-down is on the far right of the screen.

Whereabouts is Coney Island? Is it feasible that a 'thing' could land off it's shore, and then make it's first appearance at the Statue Of Liberty? What's the distance involved?

I prefer to think of the monster coming out of the cold, hard depths of the deepest darkest ocean after millenia of slumber.

!

If this scene (the splash down) happened according to the camcorders dates, than it happened "before" the attack. The cam dated it on April the 27th (when they were on their date) and the attack happened on May 23rd. The Coney Island scene was part of the original tape that wasn't taped over that night. If that was a splash down, and I saw no movement in that scene what so ever, I would consider it an extraterrestrial. I would go so far as to say that, that is the only reason for that last shot.

Needless to say, I loved it!
Miskatonic & Gin   05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
The monster's a baby and it came from the bottom of the Mid-Atlantic ridge where the Tangruko (sp?) corp was drilling their latest site.

Cthulhu for President!

Why vote for a lesser evil? I can think of none better than the great old one, who should return from his slumber to take over the U.S. government and make this country a whole hell of a lot better as the leader of our executive branch. Or destroy it and drive everyone insane, kill us all, or something really nasty! Remember, Cthulhu for President, why vote for the lesser of two evils? Wink
Maggers   07-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I finally saw CLOVERFIELD. LOVED IT!!!! I haven't read most of this thread. I gather folks either loved it or hated it. I didn't have a problem with the hand-held camera. It totally worked for me. I felt I was right there. Nor was seeing it on the small screen an issue for me. I was riveted. I sat here with my mouth hanging open nearly the entire time.

That was my city under attack, and boy, it brought back 9/11 for me, especially the early scenes. Some were ripped from the footage of 9/11 itself. Sheets of paper floating down over lower Manhattan. Huge clouds of particle-laden smoke billowing down those narrow streets while people ran for cover in small convenience stores. People coughing and choking and covered in white ash. Phew! Every scene is a place I know well. Except for their walking through the subway tunnel of the #6 line faster than a train would take them, everything else was spot on. They made it from Spring Street to 59th Street in record time, in spite being attacked by those awful bugs.

It got better and better and never let up for a minute. I haven't sat with my mouth open like that since I don't know when, probably never. That was one hell of an enjoyable movie.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7