Pages (3): 1 2 3   
sandman   05-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Okay, I searched everywhere in Googleland and here, but I haven't found a list of places from the RJ books. We're visiting the city next week, and we'd love to walk to Jack's special places of interest - his apartment, Gia's, Julio's, etc. I know most of these places are made up, but it's fun to find the closest match to the author's writings and visit in person.

Various fans of Robert Parker have done this with his Spencer novels. For example,

bullets-and-beer.com/Alternate%20Site/SpenserInContext DOT htm
Ken Valentine   05-24-2008, 01:55 PM
sandman Wrote:Okay, I searched everywhere in Googleland and here, but I haven't found a list of places from the RJ books. We're visiting the city next week, and we'd love to walk to Jack's special places of interest - his apartment, Gia's, Julio's, etc. I know most of these places are made up, but it's fun to find the closest match to the author's writings and visit in person.
Sutton Square exists, and there is a Town House there. Maggers even posted photo's of it. Although If I remember correctly, it's a doctors office.

And although I don't know New York; in THE TOMB, it mentions Jack walking out the front door of his apartment house, and looking to the right he can see the Museum of Natural History.

And Doug Gleason's apartment from ALL THE RAGE was DUMBO (Down Under the Manhatten Bridge Overpass.)

That's all I can come up with.

Ken V.
Libby   05-24-2008, 02:02 PM
sandman Wrote:Okay, I searched everywhere in Googleland and here, but I haven't found a list of places from the RJ books. We're visiting the city next week, and we'd love to walk to Jack's special places of interest - his apartment, Gia's, Julio's, etc. I know most of these places are made up, but it's fun to find the closest match to the author's writings and visit in person.

Various fans of Robert Parker have done this with his Spencer novels. For example,

WELCOME SANDMAN!!Smile

The Haunted Air has some addresses, as does Hosts and Legacies. Can't remember them, though.Sad

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Maggers   05-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Sutton Square exists, and there is a Town House there. Maggers even posted photo's of it. Although If I remember correctly, it's a doctors office.
Not quite correct, Ken. Down the block there is a doctor's office with a shingle outside proclaiming the practice of DR. MARY WILSON, who is, of course, Mrs. F. Paul Wilson. Mary's not a doctor; we all know Paul is, so I found that office sign hilarious.

There is a lovely block between York Avenue and the East River at East 58th Street, and it's on that lovely block that I think Gia lives. I think her house is the biggest on the block, which would be on the north side at the eastern most end of the block, overlooking the 59th Street Bridge and the East River.

Those photos are no longer available because Yahoo booted us all out, and I haven't gotten 'round to reposting them through photobucket. Just too much damn effort to do all over again.

Quote:And although I don't know New York; in THE TOMB, it mentions Jack walking out the front door of his apartment house, and looking to the right he can see the Museum of Natural History.
I've always thought Jack might live on West 82nd between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues, closer to Columbus.

Quote:And Doug Gleason's apartment from ALL THE RAGE was DUMBO (Down Under the Manhatten Bridge Overpass.
Take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, which every tourist to Manhattan should do as a matter of course. As you're facing Brooklyn, look to the left, and any of those former factories now apartment buildings could be Doug's building. DUMBO has become a fun place to visit; lots of nifty restaurants.

There's the East River walkway at 77th Street where a really graphic killing took place. Somebody left his heart there. There is a walkway crossing over the FDR Drive at 77th Street, and a tiny cul-de-sac under that walkway that can be seen only if you walk to it and stand right in front of it. Great place for a murder.

I had great pics of that, too, phooey on Yahoo.

There's NY Hospital on the East River where Gia was hospitalized after her traffic accident.

Oh, so many places.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   05-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the board, by the way.

Good luck finding Julio's. Manhattan has been renovated up the wazoo, and I've driven all over the West Side looking for a scuzzy type bar that could pass for Julio's. On all the West Side avenues that could house Julio's, the bars have been turned into more plush kinds of places. Back in the early '80's, when THE TOMB was first published, you could find lots of Julio type places. They are hard to come by in that area now, which has become quite the high rent district, though few people rent anymore.

The bar that most reminds me of Julio's that I see on a regular basis is actually across the street from Bloomingdales, on the north east corner of 59th and Lexington. But that has no relation to FPW's books.

Frankly, I also think Bloomingdale's should be visited by every tourist in Manhattan. It's my favorite store. I worked my way through college at Bloomies. I can't recall Jack ever mentioning Bloomingdale's. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   05-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Maggers Wrote:Not quite correct, Ken. Down the block there is a doctor's office with a shingle outside proclaiming the practice of DR. MARY WILSON, who is, of course, Mrs. F. Paul Wilson. Mary's not a doctor; we all know Paul is, so I found that office sign hilarious.

Thanks for the correction. It's been a couple of years, and what I remembered was your photo of the house and something about "doctor."

And although I can't remember the name of it at the moment, there was that Church which was mentioned in THE HAUNTED AIR, CRISSCROSS, and VIRGIN. I don't know, but I think it may have been a real place.

(Something to go into the compendium -- if it hasn't already.)

Ken V.
Maggers   05-24-2008, 03:58 PM
There's always Central Park, which is lovely to walk about, and is mentioned time and again in RJ books. The Park is beautiful at this time of year.

Wherever you go, be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes. You'll be walking a lot if you visit all these places.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

fpw   05-24-2008, 05:52 PM

[SIZE="3"]You might want to check out Steinway St and Ditmars Blvd in Astoria where a number of scenes from The Haunted Air take place. Lots of good ethnic places to eat there.

In By the Sword Jack has a couple of meetings at The Ear Inn in Soho, a real place with the best burgers in NYC. Get one along with a pint of draft Hoegaarden and it's heaven. A working man's bar in the day, hipster hang at night. [/SIZE] http://nymag.com/listings/bar/ear_inn/

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   05-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Sutton Square exists, and there is a Town House there. Maggers even posted photo's of it. Although If I remember correctly, it's a doctors office.

And although I don't know New York; in THE TOMB, it mentions Jack walking out the front door of his apartment house, and looking to the right he can see the Museum of Natural History.

And Doug Gleason's apartment from ALL THE RAGE was DUMBO (Down Under the Manhatten Bridge Overpass.)

That's all I can come up with.

Ken V.

Here's a pic of Sutton Place from Google Earth.

[Image: sutton.jpg]

The beginning of All The Rage has a scene on the steps of the museum. Jack also crawls through the vent system of ..... forget which building.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
sandman   05-25-2008, 11:54 AM
What a nice crowd on this forum! Thanks for all the info! Maybe whoever is writing the RJ Companion book can include a detailed list of real and fictional places in the novels, hmmm?

-- Sandman
Pages (3): 1 2 3