Barry Lee Dejasu   05-19-2008, 07:15 AM
I wasn't head-over-heels in love with the movie, but I DID like it. It was dazzling to watch, had a neat multi-layered narrative, and had some pretty funny scenes. Matthew Fox always stole the show when he appeared as Racer X, however; I just couldn't stop thinking, "Jack...get that mask off. You look ridiculous" - but in a good way. It was a fun, innocent ride (I swear that word just came out, it was not intended to be a pun), and I liked it all the more for the flak it's been getting.

Did anyone else here like it enough to qualify it in the "good" range?

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Scott Miller   05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:I wasn't head-over-heels in love with the movie, but I DID like it. It was dazzling to watch, had a neat multi-layered narrative, and had some pretty funny scenes. Matthew Fox always stole the show when he appeared as Racer X, however; I just couldn't stop thinking, "Jack...get that mask off. You look ridiculous" - but in a good way. It was a fun, innocent ride (I swear that word just came out, it was not intended to be a pun), and I liked it all the more for the flak it's been getting.

Did anyone else here like it enough to qualify it in the "good" range?

I'll find out when it comes to DVD; the previews make it look corny as hell.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Scott Hajek   05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I took my boys and a neighbor kid to the movie on opening weekend. We all really enjoyed it and the kids (9, 9 and 7) still talk about it. It is truly skewed to a younger audience, but as a fan of the original cartoon, I enjoyed it as well.

One of my kids liked Speed Racer better than Iron Man.

Don't take the movie seriously. Just enjoy the ride...

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]