Wapitikev   05-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Looks from the poster like it is set in a (semi) tropical location (maybe Absurdistan?) and, reportedly, involves a handicapped repairman, surfer, and his triumph over adversity. Rex Pickett wrote and directed Sideways.

But does anyone else see a similarity in this poster and another long awaited movie by a similar name that we are all famiiliar with?

Repairman movie

Time to get Forge's and Beacon's legal departments involved? Time will tell.

-Wapitikev
This post was last modified: 05-18-2008, 04:00 AM by Wapitikev.

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
fpw   05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
[SIZE="3"]Beacon has the Repairman Jack title registered with MPAA, so they can contest it if it comes down to that.

Thanx for the heads up, though.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Beacon has the Repairman Jack title registered with MPAA, so they can contest it if it comes down to that.

Thanx for the heads up, though.[/SIZE]

Paul, I see on B&N's Bookmaster system a book will be coming out in September called REPAIRMAN JACK. What's that all about?
icarusflu   05-19-2008, 03:17 AM
Not even Close - there is a video with Rex Pickett up at http://www.repairmanmovie.com, it is about a coin op repairman with fetal alcohol syndrome who wants to surf

dont think it is even close to repairman jack

icarusflu
bones weep tedium   05-19-2008, 04:46 AM
icarusflu Wrote:Not even Close - there is a video with Rex Pickett up at http://www.repairmanmovie.com, it is about a coin op repairman with fetal alcohol syndrome who wants to surf

dont think it is even close to repairman jack

icarusflu

Foetal alcohol syndrome

-or-

Fatal alcohol syndrome

:confused:

Becasue one is nothing like RJ, whereas the other would be one hell of a coincidence . . . . :eek:

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Wapitikev   05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:Foetal alcohol syndrome

-or-

Fatal alcohol syndrome

:confused:

Becasue one is nothing like RJ, whereas the other would be one hell of a coincidence . . . . :eek:

Don't hate the Americans for not being able to spell foetal, Bones. It's not their fault. They've just been taught wrong. Confusedmilewinkgrin:

True, Icarus, the narrative doesn't resemble the Jack stories (I saw the video before I started the thread) but the poster is QUITE Jack-esque.

-Wapitikev

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
fpw   05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:Don't hate the Americans for not being able to spell foetal, Bones. It's not their fault. They've just been taught wrong.

[SIZE="3"]But I did spell my story "Foet."[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Wapitikev   05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]But I did spell my story "Foet."[/SIZE]

I wouldn't exactly characterize you as a "typical" American when it comes to spelling/writing, FPW. I congratulate you for recognizing that A) the O makes it look cooler, and B) efforts are necessary to make your work more accessible to people unfortunate enough to live in Great Britain and its colonies (like Canada).

Confusedmilewinkgrin:

-Wapitikev

Silverfish   05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Paul, in my re-read of The Haunted Air, I came across this word: Lagniappe. I wondered how in the world you ever found this word. It is not indigenous to your region. As far as I'm aware (limited) you don't speak French or Spanish. Do you remember where you first heard this word, or where you picked it up?

(Unfortunaty I can't find the exact passage in which it appears.)

Stephanie

American French, from American Spanish la ñapa the lagniappe, from la + ñapa, yapa, from Quechua yapa something added
Date: 1844
: a small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase; broadly : something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure

Lagniappe derives from New World Spanish la ñapa, "the gift," and ultimately from Quechua yapay, "to give more." The word came into the rich Creole dialect mixture of New Orleans and there acquired a French spelling. It is still used in the Gulf states, especially southern Louisiana, to denote a little bonus that a friendly shopkeeper might add to a purchase. By extension, it may mean "an extra or unexpected gift or benefit."

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"