Pages (2): 1 2   
SDSwami   08-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Im just curious if anyone else has seen this movie? I watched it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It had an ending that I wasn't expecting but not exactly suprising if you really pay attention to the movie.
jimbow8   08-04-2004, 07:33 PM
SDSwami Wrote:Im just curious if anyone else has seen this movie? I watched it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It had an ending that I wasn't expecting but not exactly suprising if you really pay attention to the movie.
**SPOILER ALERT**
I watched it a few weeks ago. I thought it was well done (though I don't think Kutcher is a very good actor), but I must say I REALLY disliked the premise or message of the movie. It's kind of the anti- Its a Wonderful Life.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Richard Kendrick   08-04-2004, 08:18 PM
SDSwami Wrote:Im just curious if anyone else has seen this movie? I watched it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It had an ending that I wasn't expecting but not exactly suprising if you really pay attention to the movie.

I watched the Director's Cut on DVD. It had an alternate ending (which I preferred) from the Theatrical release.

Over all, a decent flick.

RIK
SDSwami   08-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:I watched the Director's Cut on DVD. It had an alternate ending (which I preferred) from the Theatrical release.

Over all, a decent flick.

RIK

I watched the director's cut. What was changed with the ending? BEWARE ALL, I'M ASKING FOR A POTENTIAL SPOILER.
stacyzinda123   08-05-2004, 11:49 AM
SDSwami Wrote:I watched the director's cut. What was changed with the ending? BEWARE ALL, I'M ASKING FOR A POTENTIAL SPOILER.

In the theater version Ashton kucher's character does the same thing under the desk, etc. at the end of the movie, but doesn't watch the video of his mom having him in the hospital. Instead he watches a movie of when he first met Kaylee (sp?) at a party. Rather than befriending her, he is mean to her and she runs away scared so they have no relationship and he can't hurt or help her in life. All the references to the miscarried or stillborn (I can't remember which it was in the movie) babies were left out in the theater version. I liked both, but the director's cut was more powerful.
jimbow8   08-05-2004, 11:52 AM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:In the theater version Ashton kucher's character does the same thing under the desk, etc. at the end of the movie, but doesn't watch the video of his mom having him in the hospital. Instead he watches a movie of when he first met Kaylee (sp?) at a party. Rather than befriending her, he is mean to her and she runs away scared so they have no relationship and he can't hurt or help her in life. All the references to the miscarried or stillborn (I can't remember which it was in the movie) babies were left out in the theater version. I liked both, but the director's cut was more powerful.
That's interesting. I only saw the "birth" version. I could probably accept the "breakup" version a little more, but I still don't like the message.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Gerald Rice   08-05-2004, 05:13 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:In the theater version Ashton kucher's character does the same thing under the desk, etc. at the end of the movie, but doesn't watch the video of his mom having him in the hospital. Instead he watches a movie of when he first met Kaylee (sp?) at a party. Rather than befriending her, he is mean to her and she runs away scared so they have no relationship and he can't hurt or help her in life. All the references to the miscarried or stillborn (I can't remember which it was in the movie) babies were left out in the theater version. I liked both, but the director's cut was more powerful.

I'm cornfused. The theater version I saw was when he broke up with her. What do you mean by birth video? What was that again?
jimbow8   08-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:I'm cornfused. The theater version I saw was when he broke up with her. What do you mean by birth video? What was that again?
Sounds like you need to rent the DVD.

Marc   08-06-2004, 12:38 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:It's kind of the anti- Its a Wonderful Life.

This was what I thought about Donnie Darko which was a great flick. And I liked The Butterfly Effect. I saw it with Dave just after GU-3. I'm curious to see how the director's ending differs from the theatrical version.
jimbow8   08-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Marc B. Wrote:This was what I thought about Donnie Darko which was a great flick. And I liked The Butterfly Effect. I saw it with Dave just after GU-3. I'm curious to see how the director's ending differs from the theatrical version.
I LOVE Donnie Darko. I never associated it with Its a Wonderful Life, like I immediately did with Butterfly Effect. As I said, its not that I didn't like the movie, more that I didn't like the message. I'll have to watch Donnie Darko again with this in mind. Speaking of, has anyone seen the NEW Director's Cut version of Donnie Darko that premiered at the Seattle Film Festival? I am interested in the changes.

Pages (2): 1 2