Miskatonic & Gin   05-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Caution:eek:: Rant ahead + minor spoilers:confused:

Good grief you new folks are coming out of the woodwork (or a hole in the ground). An awesome thing of course and I envy most of you. You just get to jump in and read 10 RPJ books in a month or two. Me? The second book I read with Jack was Nightworld. I had to wait half my life for the second RPJ books (Legacies) to come out. And then bite my nails waiting for each one. And the envy doesn't stop there. Most of you are sticklers for the rules. You haven't read "Reprisal", "The Touch" or "Nightworld". I have and know everything that's going to happen in the end. When Gia got pregnant? No happiness here. I knew she'd lose it somehow. Abe? When he gets...ok I'll stop there. I start talking anagrams and a good portion of you haven't even heard of most of them. Julio's weddin...OK, I'll stop.

The problem is that almost every single thread around here has to be labled "SPOILERS AHEAD" for those newbies who haven't read most of the AC. Am I suggesting you read everything now so you know what happens in the end? Of course not. I'd love to discuss stuffs and not worry about my Sara Lom's and Rafe Losmara's but I won't. Most of you haven't even discovered your Xelton's true name yet! By Noomri!

Maybe we should create a subsection of the board. RPJ Lite or something where the AC challenged can go and hang. Just kidding. Cherish your ignorance! I'd love to abolish my memory of what's coming but I can't. So I can only live vicariously through your unknowingliness!

I guess what I'm getting at is that all of the Wapster's and Libster's are climbing the Fusion Ladder and we need to start labeling you as such. "Fusion Aspirants" or something appropriate. Well, maybe the Wapster will turn out to be a Null because his Xelton will never get out of bed but I kinda doubt it.

Maybe we could get a designation under your names that would be determined by where you are in the AC scheme of things. You fill out a form and check off all of the books that you HAVE read and the computer program that somebody other than myself is going to write will automatically assign you your designate. Read another book, update your profile and you climb the Fusion Ladder! Big Grin FPW would be the only one with Full Fusion under his name of course. Others could be Fusion Initiates, Fusion Aspirants, Temple Overseer, Grand Paladins and so forth.

Those that fail to log into the boards for 60 days or more would be immediately labled a "Lapsed Fusion Aspirant"

I'm sure the computer could even work in some Sham Fusions, Nulls and even Wall Addicts (those who pretend to read Jack but only read Nora Roberts books).

What prompted this (quite possibly ill advised) rant? Maybe I had a bad day at work. Maybe I can't find any Rolling Rock. Maybe I'm perturbed that I STILL don't know how Eli Glinn is alive after the events in The Ice Limit (damn you P & C!). Or maybe I'm just bummed that I came across my 1992 version of Nightworld which I thought I had hidden so I wouldn't read it but obviously didn't do a good job and wouldn't you know it I'm on page 63.

OK. Rant over.

Cthulhu for President!

Why vote for a lesser evil? I can think of none better than the great old one, who should return from his slumber to take over the U.S. government and make this country a whole hell of a lot better as the leader of our executive branch. Or destroy it and drive everyone insane, kill us all, or something really nasty! Remember, Cthulhu for President, why vote for the lesser of two evils? Wink
Libby   05-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I will have you know that I read the Touch. Not reprisal or Nightworld yet, though. Mine is Floob-boober-bab-boober-bub.Wink

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
jimbow8   05-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Miskatonic & Gin' Wrote:Caution:eek:: Rant ahead + minor spoilers:confused:

Good grief you new folks are coming out of the woodwork (or a hole in the ground). An awesome thing of course and I envy most of you. You just get to jump in and read 10 RPJ books in a month or two. Me? The second book I read with Jack was Nightworld. I had to wait half my life for the second RPJ books (Legacies) to come out. And then bite my nails waiting for each one. And the envy doesn't stop there. Most of you are sticklers for the rules. You haven't read "Reprisal", "The Touch" or "Nightworld". I have and know everything that's going to happen in the end. When Gia got pregnant? No happiness here. I knew she'd lose it somehow. Abe? When he gets...ok I'll stop there. I start talking anagrams and a good portion of you haven't even heard of most of them. Julio's weddin...OK, I'll stop.

The problem is that almost every single thread around here has to be labled "SPOILERS AHEAD" for those newbies who haven't read most of the AC. Am I suggesting you read everything now so you know what happens in the end? Of course not. I'd love to discuss stuffs and not worry about my Sara Lom's and Rafe Losmara's but I won't. Most of you haven't even discovered your Xelton's true name yet! By Noomri!

Maybe we should create a subsection of the board. RPJ Lite or something where the AC challenged can go and hang. Just kidding. Cherish your ignorance! I'd love to abolish my memory of what's coming but I can't. So I can only live vicariously through your unknowingliness!

I guess what I'm getting at is that all of the Wapster's and Libster's are climbing the Fusion Ladder and we need to start labeling you as such. "Fusion Aspirants" or something appropriate. Well, maybe the Wapster will turn out to be a Null because his Xelton will never get out of bed but I kinda doubt it.

Maybe we could get a designation under your names that would be determined by where you are in the AC scheme of things. You fill out a form and check off all of the books that you HAVE read and the computer program that somebody other than myself is going to write will automatically assign you your designate. Read another book, update your profile and you climb the Fusion Ladder! Big Grin FPW would be the only one with Full Fusion under his name of course. Others could be Fusion Initiates, Fusion Aspirants, Temple Overseer, Grand Paladins and so forth.

Those that fail to log into the boards for 60 days or more would be immediately labled a "Lapsed Fusion Aspirant"

I'm sure the computer could even work in some Sham Fusions, Nulls and even Wall Addicts (those who pretend to read Jack but only read Nora Roberts books).

What prompted this (quite possibly ill advised) rant? Maybe I had a bad day at work. Maybe I can't find any Rolling Rock. Maybe I'm perturbed that I STILL don't know how Eli Glinn is alive after the events in The Ice Limit (damn you P & C!). Or maybe I'm just bummed that I came across my 1992 version of Nightworld which I thought I had hidden so I wouldn't read it but obviously didn't do a good job and wouldn't you know it I'm on page 63.

OK. Rant over.

Interesting idea, but much too con-"fusion"! Bwahahaha! Get it?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Libby   05-07-2008, 11:00 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Interesting idea, but much too con-"fusion"! Bwahahaha! Get it?

LOL yes.Smile Con fusion, another interesting idea. All murderers need a more powerful counter-part.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Wapitikev   05-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Libby Wrote:LOL yes.Smile Con fusion, another interesting idea. All murderers need a more powerful counter-part.

Jim! You and Libby just named the forthcoming annual convention that will come into being in a few years when the Jack saga is finished and becomes the bestselling fiction series of all time...boosted in sales, of course, by the long awaited release of the RJ movie series and accompanied by various action figures and role playing games.

[SIZE="7"]
CON FUSION
[/SIZE]

My Xelton revealed it to me (after it dragged its butt out of bed this afternoon).

There ARE no coincidences.

-Wapitikev
This post was last modified: 05-08-2008, 02:06 AM by Wapitikev.

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
NickelobLight   05-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:My Xelton revealed it to me (after it dragged its butt out of bed this afternoon).

-Wapitikev

Tell me about it. Mine goes drinking the night before and I end up wondering who the heck THAT is in my bed the next morning, (ah...the ramifications of the metaphysical scoring with the physical....), and what that strange itching sensation is....

:yikes:

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

[Image: dfb17bf94b00b1e2eb_5.jpg] [Image: s_logo_tampa.gif]
Bruj   05-16-2008, 11:26 PM
well...my fiance gave me her copies of the AC last year around January. told me i had to read them. i did, and was blown away. and a little over a month ago, i started hitting amazon and ordering every peice of FPW fiction i could get my grubby little hands on. hehe

Bruj
Brian   12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Don't envy one of the new guys. I wander around here too much. I found this post as I tool around the site. What I'm searching for, I don't know just yet. I'll know it when I see it , I think. I seem to have a bunch of reading to do. At least I discovered the Link page. Pardon the questions as they pop up. I can get some answers sometimes Wink but I can only read so fast! Yes, I'll keep at it.

There is no wise man without fault
wdg3rd   12-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Don't worry about it, Brian. Jointless Gin posts (on average) barely over thirty times a year. I'm not much above that, my activity comes in clumps and I seem to be in one of the bigger ones just now. If I was seriously into being Last, my count would go up.

I still haven't read everything FPW has written, and I've been reading his stuff since "Lipidleggin'" was published in Asimov's. Partly because I'm seriously not into medical thrillers. (I'm married to an ex-nurse -- I get enough medical horror stories in pillow talk). I wish he'd get back into the LaNague universe for a while, but no chance of that until he finishes off Jack (two more books, or so he says -- not that that means he'll ever return to the LaNague universe).

Yes, I'm mostly into science fiction. One of the fathers I adopted was Robert Heinlein. (The other two were Julius Marx and Richard B. Fuller). No support nor recognition ever requested. They fathered my brain, the asshole who fathered my body was of no account (they say don't speak ill of the dead, but it's safer than speaking ill of the living, especially if you don't want to waste time in courtrooms, and dad really was a drunken brutal asshole).

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
rjack_fan   12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I am one of the lucky newbies that got to burn through most of the series in a few months (thanks Matt!). I actually do own very nice (collectable) copies of the AC books, plus I just picked up the revised editions during the Borderlands sale. I am exercising some amazing self control and waiting for them to come out in mass market revised editions in 2009 so they are in sequence with the RJ story.

I know reading sequence is greatly debated. I have already read The Keep and The Tomb, and it seems that I should be able to read Reborn, so maybe that will be next on my list.

But I don't plan on reading the ending early just so people don't have to put spoiler alerts. It also seems like discussing the old AC books is like spinning your wheels at this point, since they have been revised and most people haven't read the revised editions.

But I do still peak at some of the spoilers - I guess I don't have that much restraint Confusedmilewinkgrin: