Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Scott Miller   05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I just finished the entire series, the Gold Edition. It's been years since I had seen anything other than the first seven episodes and overall I still enjoyed it. I think outside of a couple of storylines, the Andy/Lucy/Dick Tremayne and the Lana/Dwayne ones specifically, the show still crackled with tons of quirky energy. The writing was frequently brilliant and always interesting. The ensemble cast was one of the best ever I thought both Ray Wise and Kenneth Welsh were superior as the shows primary villians. All in all, it still remains one of my all time favorite TV shows.

But I must say that it had one of the worst finales in history; The Black Lodge was such a letdown. Certainly the show was known for being offbeat and The Black Lodge certainly qualified, but it was strange in a not so good and boring way(a recurring problem I have with much of Lynch's work).

The extras in the Gold Edition offer welcome insight into how the show was created.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Marc   05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:But I must say that it had one of the worst finales in history; The Black Lodge was such a letdown. Certainly the show was known for being offbeat and The Black Lodge certainly qualified, but it was strange in a not so good and boring way(a recurring problem I have with much of Lynch's work).

I really liked the ending even though it was a huge cliffhanger. Some genuinely creepy moments in the finale and throughout the show. It's probably one of the most innovative shows in television history, one that paved the way for a lot of current television.
bones weep tedium   05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I have never had the pleasure of seeing any of the Twin Peaks series, but am fascinated by the 2 films I have seen and am on the look out for a cheap boxset.

I heard that the series had some troubles cretively towards the end, with David Lynch having less and less to do with the show after a while. Is this true?

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Scott Miller   05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I really liked the ending even though it was a huge cliffhanger. Some genuinely creepy moments in the finale and throughout the show. It's probably one of the most innovative shows in television history, one that paved the way for a lot of current television.

[SIZE="6"]SPOILERS[/SIZE]

There were several cliffhangers besides the big one with Cooper and Annie. You've got Ben Horn(Beymer deserves mention for his performance) injured or dead; Audrey and Pete's fate in the bank; Nadine's memory returning, Leo biting down for his life, and what happened to Josie. I didn't mind the final reveal with Cooper smashing his head against the mirror, kind of refreshing actually, but I thought the Black Lodge was just plain dull.

Scott

Marc   05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:I have never had the pleasure of seeing any of the Twin Peaks series, but am fascinated by the 2 films I have seen and am on the look out for a cheap boxset.

There is only one movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. The other you are probably referring to is the modified pilot episode that had additional footage to make it a single made-for-tv version. This aired only in Europe, not the U.S.

bones weep tedium Wrote:I heard that the series had some troubles cretively towards the end, with David Lynch having less and less to do with the show after a while. Is this true?

True. THe first season ABC execs didn't have much input nor did they care to. They didn't think Twin Peaks was much of anything until it became the phenomenon it did. Then they wanted more input and put demands on the creative team.

On top of that Lynch was off making Wild at Heart so he had a hard time keeping the execs at bay while working on that film. That's why the second season falls apart for about five episodes (17-22).
Scott Miller   05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Marc B. Wrote:There is only one movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. The other you are probably referring to is the modified pilot episode that had additional footage to make it a single made-for-tv version. This aired only in Europe, not the U.S.

I really disliked Fire: Walk With Me and I much preferred the original ending for the pilot although I can see why the footage was added to give it a sense of completion.

Marc B. Wrote:On top of that Lynch was off making Wild at Heart so he had a hard time keeping the execs at bay while working on that film. That's why the second season falls apart for about five episodes (17-22).

Lynch is so frustrating for me; he can be absolutely brilliant at times(the pilot for example) but then he gets infatuated with being weird for weird's sake(the first episode of Season 2 and the finale are my two least favorite of the entire series).

Scott

Kenji   05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I just finished the entire series, the Gold Edition. It's been years since I had seen anything other than the first seven episodes and overall I still enjoyed it. I think outside of a couple of storylines, the Andy/Lucy/Dick Tremayne and the Lana/Dwayne ones specifically, the show still crackled with tons of quirky energy. The writing was frequently brilliant and always interesting. The ensemble cast was one of the best ever I thought both Ray Wise and Kenneth Welsh were superior as the shows primary villians. All in all, it still remains one of my all time favorite TV shows.

But I must say that it had one of the worst finales in history; The Black Lodge was such a letdown. Certainly the show was known for being offbeat and The Black Lodge certainly qualified, but it was strange in a not so good and boring way(a recurring problem I have with much of Lynch's work).

The extras in the Gold Edition offer welcome insight into how the show was created.

Oh, Twin Peaks.....I saw them a loooong time ago.

But I still remember the finale at The Black Lodge. Laura Palmer's white eyes freaked me out! :eek:
jimbow8   05-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Marc B. Wrote:There is only one movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. The other you are probably referring to is the modified pilot episode that had additional footage to make it a single made-for-tv version. This aired only in Europe, not the U.S.
For a while that was the only way to purchase the pilot episode. I owned the VHS box set, and it did NOT include the pilot. If you wanted the pilot, you had to purchase that modified version. This made it confusing since I didn't remember exactly how the original had been modified. Very annoying.

Quote:True. THe first season ABC execs didn't have much input nor did they care to. They didn't think Twin Peaks was much of anything until it became the phenomenon it did. Then they wanted more input and put demands on the creative team.

On top of that Lynch was off making Wild at Heart so he had a hard time keeping the execs at bay while working on that film. That's why the second season falls apart for about five episodes (17-22).
I don't even remember exactly how the show ended. I wonder if I ever finished watching it or gave up during that "bad" period.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
jimbow8   05-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I really disliked Fire: Walk With Me and I much preferred the original ending for the pilot although I can see why the footage was added to give it a sense of completion.

Lynch is so frustrating for me; he can be absolutely brilliant at times(the pilot for example) but then he gets infatuated with being weird for weird's sake(the first episode of Season 2 and the finale are my two least favorite of the entire series).

I didn't like Fire Walk With Me either.

The things that I remember best from season two are the little man in the red suit and the GIANT. The Giant was the best! Big Grin

And I still find the line "It is happening AGAIN!" running through my brain every so often.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I didn't like Fire Walk With Me either.

The things that I remember best from season two are the little man in the red suit and the GIANT. The Giant was the best! Big Grin

And I still find the line "It is happening AGAIN!" running through my brain every so often.

I agree. I still don't understand the end of "Fire Walk With Me". I thought all mysteries become clear. But it made a lot of mysteries. I wish I could see "Fire Walk With Me 2"..... Big Grin

The man who played Giant! He was in another movies, "Dean R. Koontz's The Servants of Twilight" and "Adams Family".
Pages (3): 1 2 3