Pages (2):    1 2
webby   04-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Schwinn160 Wrote:Give yourself twice the pleasure. Read it quickly, then, when the next one is on the way, read it again so that you're already on a "Jack-buzz" before it arrives. Smile

That's the way I roll, too. Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Paul R   04-25-2008, 05:48 AM
I read them right away. There's no way I could just leave it on a shelf - that's exactly why I know what happens in the new edition of Nightworld, so my lack of will power sometimes works against me.

"I handed in the new RJ novel with the
working title, BY THE SWORD. David says the sales force loved the title at the
pre Turkey-Day sales meeting, so that's what it will be. That means Paul Ramplin
gets a credit line in the acknowledgments.
"
DogWoman   04-26-2008, 09:20 AM
NickelobLight Wrote:Yes, but my way is the way everyone should follow.

On a more serious note...how the heck do you just sit and look at an unread book you've bought, Repairman Jack or not?!

I'll bet if you smoked, you could quit cold turkey, too.

Oh man...I read RJ books right away, but once I get about halfway through, I start reading reeeeaaaaalllllly sloooowwwwwllllly because I don't want it to end.

If you're a compulsive book-buyer, it happens all of the time. Imagine buying 5 or 6 books, you read one or two, then the new RJ comes out and you have to drop everything. And then the newest book makes you think "I really should re-read that other one, because I think I forgot something..."

The present state of the world is not the proof of philosophy’s impotence, but the proof of philosophy’s power. It is philosophy that has brought men to this state—it is only philosophy that can lead them out.

Ayn Rand, “For the New Intellectual,” For the New Intellectual, 50.
IanSF   04-26-2008, 06:06 PM
My collection is mostly paperback, but I couldn't wait a whole year to read a new RJ story. I get my library to get the new titles when they are released and buy the paperback of the title that came out the year before.
Because the library usually take about a month to acquire the latest, I read the paperback again then I'm 'up to speed' and on a 'Jack buzz' (nice one, Schwinn01) by the time the new one is ready.
Kenji   04-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Chevron Wrote:I was looking among my unread books last night trying to decide what to read next, when I spotted Harbingers and Bloodline on the shelf. I'm trying desperately not to read these because I don't want to run out of RJ books - I like to keep one or two in reserve until the next comes out. I then started wondering whether other people do this, or is it just me?
I even try to wait until they come out in paperback, but this is mainly because I've received too many head injuries by falling asleep at night reading the hardbacks.

So, what do you do? Read it straight away, or try to hold out for as long as you can?

Chev.

If it is RJ novel, I read it straight away. Because recently RJ novels are published every year. Now, I'm reading DEEP AS THE MARROW, but if I got a new RJ novel, I'll put it down a while, then I start reading a new RJ novel. Smile
colburn0004   04-26-2008, 11:38 PM
It was about 3 maybe 4 years ago when my dad had me read the tomb which was one of his favorite books and after that I needed more so he gave me Legacies to read and said that's all he knew of. But after I read Legacies I was hooked and had to find if there were more and as soon as i could i read up to i think hosts and since then have read them as soon as i can get them.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Chevron Wrote:I was looking among my unread books last night trying to decide what to read next, when I spotted Harbingers and Bloodline on the shelf. I'm trying desperately not to read these because I don't want to run out of RJ books - I like to keep one or two in reserve until the next comes out. I then started wondering whether other people do this, or is it just me?
I even try to wait until they come out in paperback, but this is mainly because I've received too many head injuries by falling asleep at night reading the hardbacks.

So, what do you do? Read it straight away, or try to hold out for as long as you can?

Chev.

I make it a vacation day from work, grab a 6 of Sam Adams lager, put GIMME SHELTER on my sound-machine, and start reading. Why not? No telling how many seconds I have left. Might be a meteor heading for Yorkville.

And I think good music and good fiction are the most fun you can have with your pants on.
Sourdoughs   04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I force myself to finish whatever book I'm currently reading before tackling the RJ book, but then I'm right on it. I then go and buy the paperback when it's released and I've started through a second time. It's amazing how much I've forgotten from Legacies and Conspiracies already!

-MarcC
Logan   04-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I read them immediatly. I'm not one for delayed gratifacation.
Pages (2):    1 2